We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2/3 Weeks at Christmas where to stay?

UK
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Topic
2/3 Weeks at Christmas where to stay?

We are spending 3 months in Australia and our kids are joining us for a 2 or 3 week stay over Christmas. They will be flying into Sydney. Where would be the best place for us to stay for them to get the best experience in a short time?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,957 posts
1,361 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2/3 Weeks at Christmas where to stay?

Hi,

It depends on your children's ages & their interests ??

Do you want to stay in Sydney or travel eslewhere ??

In Sydney - Manly Beach - plenty of apartments to rent but you will need to book asap as everything gets booked out during the summer school holidays in Dec / Jan.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255060-d257487/Sydne…

Sydney - Palm Beach - stayz.com.au/accommodation/…palm-beach

Out of Sydney - everywhere will be busy.

Noosa - Sunshine Coast

Byron Bay - Nth NSW

Jervis Bay - Sth Coast NSW.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,450 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2/3 Weeks at Christmas where to stay?

I'd suggest for 2/3 weeks in summer a driving tour of NSW taking in the capital, the high country and of course the coast, you could see a fair bit if you were willing to move on every couple of days or you could do it at a more leisurely pace spending maybe a whole week in 3 different places, but as mentioned it is the busy summer holidays which can introduce additional considerations, and also we don't know anything about your criteria, perhaps what you have in mind is settling into one place for the duration with good public transport obviating the need to pay for a rental vehicle and drive in a foreign country and a beach and a wide range of dining and entertainment within walking distance, so we need to understand just what it is you're after?

UK
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 2/3 Weeks at Christmas where to stay?

Thanks for getting back to me. They are very big children - 26 and 22!!

I think we would like to stay in the Sydney area in one location. Someone has recommended Paddington - any thoughts on this?

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,450 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2/3 Weeks at Christmas where to stay?

So what do you want to do? What do you want proximity to? What type of accommodation did you have in mind? What sort of vibe are you after? What nearby facilities? Will you be renting a vehicle or using public transport, visiting the sights or mostly relaxing? What sort of criteria was the recommendation of Paddington based on? I mean if you talked to someone about it, what did they say, did they say they'd stayed in Paddington and liked it or they'd heard somehwere Paddington was a good place to stay or they understand your tastes and think Paddington would suit you or what? You ask about "the best place" for "the best experience" but that means different things to different people. I wouldn't go half way round the world to spend 3 weeks in one location, but that's me, and I'm not saying that's what you should do, but in order to make useful suggestions we need to understand what it is you would like.

UK
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 2/3 Weeks at Christmas where to stay?

Thanks MacKnee! My husband and I will be travelling all around to get the 'whole experience'. But the kids may only be able to come for 2 weeks, and would like to see the beach/cosmopolitan/cultural side rather than a real scenery trip.

So I guess what we are looking for is somewhere close to the city centre hub and beaches.

We obviously need to do a lot more research!

sydney Australia
Level Contributor
871 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2/3 Weeks at Christmas where to stay?

I can now understand why someone might say Padington. But if my real aim was for beaches, as well as being somewhat close to the city, I would stay closer to bondi or coogee,as the beach is right there, and the pace is slower. But if the city is the real number 1 and the beach is secondary then stay in Darling Harbour, or Paddington, but I dont really know accommodation there. It is buzz, and cafes and the city is either a walk ( I wouldnt walk it at night but Im a Northern beaches princess) or bus ride away. the eastern suburbs beaches are also bus ride away and if you want a great beach and a ferry ride, you have Manly 40 mins away by ferry.

7. Re: 2/3 Weeks at Christmas where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 11:18