We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Strategic Airlines

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
101 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Strategic Airlines

Considering flying to Hawaii with Strategic,(cheaper than other carriers)Is this airline any good or should we pay more and go with Hawaiian?I mean as long as you get there in the end,I am happy,although my kids think it will be not good.At least you can fly from Melbourne direct and not via Sydney,as is the case with the others.

Any comments or thoughts greatly appreciated,

Cheers,

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,148 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Strategic Airlines

A friend of mine has just flown with Strategic Airlines to Phuket and said they were quite good.

Have a look at www.airlinequality.com/Forum/strategic.htm There are some very different opinions.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,499 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Strategic Airlines

We flew Perth to Bali with Strategic and they were fine. What I liked best was that the price was all-inclusive, of a simple meal, entertainment and checked luggage, as opposed to other LCCs which charge extra for all these.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,458 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Strategic Airlines

Who "owns" Strategic? Anyone know?

Brisbane
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,249 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Strategic Airlines

Michael James and Shaun Aisen are co owners, soon to be renamed Air Australia

Oscar

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,458 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Strategic Airlines

Thanks Oscar

Hobart, Tasmania...
Level Contributor
93 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Strategic Airlines

We flew with them from Melb to Phuket direct in August 2011 and could not fault them. If I had the money to go again, I would go with them. Firstly, the direct flight is fantastic, no hanging in Bangkok for hours before your connecting flight. Strategic will be renamed to Air Australia soon and it wont be a full service airline, meaning you will have to pay for food and drinks as you would with Virgin and all the others. For the price, who cares. The planes were fine and the staff were fantastic. We flew business over and economy back and both were great. So, go ahead and book with them. Our flights all went to the time schedule also. Good on the young owners of this airline.............I believe 34yr olds.......good onya boys!!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Strategic Airlines

We are planning to fly with them from Brisbane to Hawaii. I'm also a bit dubious as opinions on this airline seem to vary. However, the prices are very cheap and the direct flights option is brilliant, so we will take the chance.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,131 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Strategic Airlines

these guys have been succesffully doing Charter flights for 20 odd years ( hmm, must have started young ;-) and have won a number of contracts with the Australian Defense Force and a number of European companies.

In recent years they have had a lot of success servicing the Mining run and expanded their route to more mainstream capitals last year.

We have friends who have flown them and have no complaints and we are booked to fly ourselves at Xmas.

Its always tought to crack the 2-Airline culture in Australia but as long as they keep mining the mining industry there will be plenty of $$ and a healthy outlook...

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Strategic Airlines

The occasional downside is their small fleet.

If one of their jets gets a sneeze, the whole route is turned upside down for days or longer. This fiasco from not all that long ago;

phuketwan.com/tourism/…

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
101 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Strategic Airlines

Thanks everyone,the Melbourne /Hawaii option sounds good,better than having to go via Sydney as is the case now.

I think the fares are very good,we are really tempted to book after reading the comments.