We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

time of year for cruise australia to nz

australia
Level Contributor
156 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
time of year for cruise australia to nz

Have been persuaded by husband to try a cruise from Sydney to NZ next year. As I suffer severely from motion sickness I have never been on a cruise but will try anything once! Can anyone tell me if there is a time of year where the seas are likely to be calmer than other times? Or is it luck of the draw?

The cruises seem to run during our spring/summer months only. Was considering end of March or beginning October.

I come from NZ originally and know the oceans around this country are a force to be reckoned with, so am very apprehensive. I know there are medications to take but they all have side effects and would have to be a last resort for me.

All advice welcome.

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: time of year for cruise australia to nz

You'd probably get some really good advice from Cruise Critic forums

http://www.cruisecritic.com/

Hope it works out well for you LTB

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,813 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: time of year for cruise australia to nz

The reason for the big cruise season is that most cruises like to relocate down under for the winter...they don't understand or care about the winds etc people from the north just want to be warm!

imho peak summer ain't that great. try for early november or late autumn

(can still get trade winds in oct)

cabins are a big issue when picking your suite..so...

mid ship (that's why they charge more) with a porthole (even better with a verandah and about middle height of ship.....ie 1-2 levels below open deck

Another useful is to try to avoid too many sea days in a row, ie overnight transfers tend to have less impact than being at sea for several days..

GD doesn't do well at sea bUt all of our cruises we have gone with smaller ships and she has only had one really bad journey...2 days at 10m swells in the north sea and a forward cabin (she struggles getting an hour to gbr)..sticking to the most stable rooms on the ship makes a difference, she ended up on the floor inour midship room and was fine

3. Re: time of year for cruise australia to nz

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 17:19