We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melbourne Accom

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Melbourne Accom

5 adults to Melbourne from 16 to 21 Mar 2012. Accom plan : 2 days between CBD & Phillip Island, 1 day Apollo Bay and last 2 days near CBD. Looking for decent & cheap (AUD30~40/person/night) 1 or 2 bedrooms accom... any recommendation? Any one stayed at South East Holiday Village before? Which is the cheapest car rental company in Melbourne?

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,925 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melbourne Accom

Good luck getting cheap accommodation in Melbourne on those dates - the Grand Prix is the 15th to the 18th March next year.

Getting a two bedroom place in the CBD for $200 a night would be difficult at any time - during the GP it will be nigh impossible. You may have better luck if you look at areas further out in the suburbs. Can you change your dates? Or can you go and see Apollo Bay and the GOR first and then return to Melbourne after the 18th?

Broadford, Australia
Level Contributor
1,792 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Melbourne Accom

South East Holiday Village is basically a caravan park in the suburbs, next to an entrance to the Frankston Freeway. It is close to a pub and shopping centre. Traffic in the area in peak times can be horrible. To get to Phillip Island from there you would need to get onto Eastlink.

As to car rental, there are plenty of cheap places to rent cars, but you get what you pay for. If there are 5 of you and luggage, a family sedan would be a squeeze. Also the cheaper car rental options are generally not in the airport area but offsite therefore less convenient. Whatever you find, READ THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS CAREFULLY. Otherwise we will most likely be reading your "XXX Car Rentals Ripped us off!" post.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,467 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Melbourne Accom

I couldn't agree more with Unlcefey - you get what you pay for - pleae read this FAQ about renting vehicles - tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255055-c119403/Austr…

Aso, consider looking at http://www.hotelscombined.com/ - they compare the rates from different sites and you can pick which one suits. With some of those sites you may have to pay up front. I used this recently and found a site that had a great price at a hotel that was selling for more on other sites.

There's another site which sounds similar - I haven't used that one but it may be good for what you want -http://www.hotelpricescompare.com/?gclid=CLnB5dDJ9asCFSNNpgod_W5J-Q

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Melbourne Accom

Thanks for replies & information. Wish can change the dates of travel to avoid the Grand Prix... but can't as it'll be at a cost as our air fares were promotion fares. Any good suburds to stay outside CBD? FAQ on renting vehicles offer good advices. Did anyone use East Coast Car Rentals recently? Anyone stay in Seabreeze Motel, Newhaven recently? What types of rooms do they have?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,467 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Melbourne Accom

I use East Coast Rentals on the Gold Coast and I have used them at Brisbane. I have a car booked with them for two weeks time. I've never had a problem with them at all.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
361 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Melbourne Accom

Hi, I think you may have to up your pice for overnight accom - $30-$40 in Melbourne and suburbs would likely only get you filthy accom in a place frequented by herion addicts (which is ok if you are not fussy?). probably you will not get away with less than $100 minimum?

You could always go to wotif.com and put that in as a max price and see what comes up? inner city melbourme is still vibrant and interesting places like Fitzroy, Richmond, Collingwood etc. There would be cheap stuff in outer suburbia (heidelberg, Ringwood etc) that if you are happy to jump in the car or catch the train would be ok. Probably don't want to go as far as Dandenong.

If you can't find a place in Apollo bay, you can try Lorne, Anglesea or even Torquay? they have resonable caravan parks where you can hire cabins (small but clean with bedroom, kitchen and bathroom) IMO often a better option than motels for similar price.

Good Luck :)

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Melbourne Accom

Thanks a lot for the helpful info and advices :)

Hopefully I can get a good and cheap accommodation. I'm quite surprised that 2-star/3-star apartments/motor inns nearby Melbourne CBD and in Phillip Island have been fully booked... even though still five months to Mar 2012!

8. Re: Melbourne Accom

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 15:19