We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Working Holiday Visa

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
540 posts
Save Topic
Working Holiday Visa

Hi,

I was thinking about a workig holiday visa

If i was looking to explore these main citys but also the regions these places are in in 1 or 2 years, Could someone give me the best months to go to these places and perhaps amount of time to stay in them? I don't mind if any months overlap. I can sort that out myself. I would defo priortise melbourne,sydney,brisbane,Outback.

I'll start in melbourne from these months

Melbourne = December - February

Sydney =

Brisbane

Perth

Darwin

Alice Springs/ Outback/central Australia (I know it's massive)

Adelaide

Hobart

Canberra (I know it's not heard of much but would it be worth any large amount of time there?)

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Brisbane
Brisbane
Brisbane Region, Australia
Hobart
Hobart
Greater Hobart, Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
92 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Working Holiday Visa

So sticking to your starting plan I would look at something like this, if you planned to stay one year, obviously things would change in terms of finding work and how much cash you had at any one time.

Melbourne (December - February)

You could probably fit Hobart and Tasmania during this time. I would recommend early February as the weather is generally still pretty good and you will miss most of the Summer holiday crowds. Cheap flights down from Melbourne are easy to get.

Head off to Sydney (March-May) still reasonably climate in Sydney at this time. Head down to Canberra during this stay.

Then on to Brisbane or just anywhere in queensland June through late july. Might as well try to see most of it, from the Gold Coast all the way up to Cairns. This is a great time of year in queensland as its not as humid and not during the wet season. Also outside the stinger season if you want to swim or head out to the Barrier Reef snorkelling or diving.

Darwin/Kakadu/Red Centre could be done in a few weeks in August. Again avoiding the hottest and wettest times of the year in the NT.

Head off to Perth/WA September-October.

Adelaide/SA could be done in a few weeks in October.

And you might as well come back to Melbourne for a bit of time to finish your year off. Late October/Early November in Melbourne is Spring Carnival time. So if your into horse racing or having a good time this is a good time to be in Melbourne.

It would obviously depend on your budget, work and things you like doing. If your interested in skiing you will need to be down in the south-east during the winter.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Hobart
Hobart
Greater Hobart, Australia
Tasmania
Tasmania
Australia
Brisbane
Brisbane
Gold Coast
Gold Coast
Queensland, Australia
sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,260 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Working Holiday Visa

I don't know much about working holidays to Australia but maybe the first place to check is www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/ to see if you qualify.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Working Holiday Visa

It depends a lot on what kind of work you will be looking for. A lot of backpackers pay for their holidays by doing casual farms work like fruit picking. If that's your plan then your itinerary will depend on the fruit picking seasons in each state. This link will give you some ideas webwombat.com.au/careers_ed/…fruitpic.htm

If you are planning on doing work in the cities then as suggested above you should plan on staying in the major cities like Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth with side trips to smaller locations where job hunting may be more difficult.

As a general rule try and stay out of the tropics in the summer and north of Sydney in the winter. The plan outlined in the previous response is a good one.

In any case you need to make sure you get your WHV organized first.

Have a great year!

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Brisbane
Brisbane
Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
540 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Working Holiday Visa

Thanks for the responses!

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
540 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Working Holiday Visa

I know it's a difficut question to answer because everybodys situation is different but in general how many days a week would a backpacker work if he's trying to juggle seeing the country but also having enough money to do the things he plans to do.

Would they work mon-fri with weekends off or

work weekends and have the week days off?

Thanks

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
29,253 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Working Holiday Visa

That would probably be up to the employer. If you are doing fruit picking, the farmer wants the crop harvested immediately. You can work seven days a week if that's what you want.

Most employers will be unimpressed with someone wanting less than five days a week, but you could try casual work in the hospitality industry. Bars and restaurants always need extra casual staff at peak times.

I have employed several WHV people and I ask for a month or two of 5-days-a week. They then seem to use that to move on somewhere else and have a holiday for a month or so, before getting full-time work again. The big issue for all of them has been finding cheap accommodation in a shared house. If you want work, you'll find work, IMO.

Next big issue is getting another visa. :)

Luigi

7. Re: Working Holiday Visa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 04:18