We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Detailed road maps for self drive in Tasmania and Queensland

Kensington
Level Contributor
336 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Detailed road maps for self drive in Tasmania and Queensland

I have sent away for the map provided for by the Tasmanian tourist authority. It is inadequate for my needs. Where can I buy a detailed map of roads in Tasmania and for Queensland? Can you all suggest either a local bookstore or car club for both areas? We will arrive in Hobart for our Tasmanian trip and in Queensland we will make our base in Port Douglas.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,106 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Detailed road maps for self drive in Tasmania and Queensland

You can buy roadmaps in Australia at any service (gas) station or at any newsagent (a shop that sells newspapers and magazines, unlike anything I ever saw in the US). You can also get them at auto clubs, but gas stations and newsagents are easier to find.

You could either get a road atlas that has maps of all the states (a lot like a Rand McNally) or you could get fold-out maps for each state. Good brands are UBD, Gregory's or Hema - indeed, you won't be able to find anything else.

Or you could get them at Amazon.com

amazon.com/Tasmania-Handy-Map-Hobart-Hema/…

amazon.com/Brisbane-Cairns-Regional-Maps-S/…

Queensland - being bigger than Texas - has regional maps available, too. :)

Luigi

Kensington
Level Contributor
336 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Detailed road maps for self drive in Tasmania and Queensland

You are such a great source of information! Thank you, Zin

3. Re: Detailed road maps for self drive in Tasmania and Queensland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2012, 10:31