We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cairns

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cairns

Hello guys,

Me and my husband would be visiting Cairns this xams for the first time. Can anyone help me with the suggestion about the must see attractions here. Like for example cairns would not be complete without seeing the great barrier reef. Any other suggestion?? what about the islands nearby?? any kind of suggestion or tips are welcome.

best regards.

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cairns

How long have you got?! lol

Tons and tons to do. Here's a few of my faves: Reef is number 1, but also Daintree Rainforest, Atherton Tablelands (waterfall circuit included), Barron Falls if there's been rain, Paronella Park, White Water Rafting on the Tully River, Breakfast with the Birds at the Rainforest Habitat, Skyrail, everything in Kuranda (Butterfly House and Bird World are awesome), Hartleys Crocodile Farm, having a swim then a BBQ on the Espanade...

At Xmas time, make sure you drink loads of water, enjoy the fresh seafood and stay cool! All the tourist attractions are usually open everyday except Xmas.

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Cairns

Thank you GK....we wil be there for 7 nights...so thats quite a long time..!! since we will be staying mostly in cairns..any suggestions for the island hopping. Have heard that port douglas is very nice....how far is it form there?? any tips or suggestions would be very helpful. moreover any good food eateries which we should try! can anyone suggest me good tour operators from whom we can book the tours. Moreover is car a necessary there to move around. ?

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cairns

Port Douglas is about an hour north and a lovely drive. A car would be really handy while you're there as otherwise you'll be reliant on patchy public transport and tourist bus transfers.

You can find restaurants with reviews here: tripadvisor.com.au/Restaurants-g255069-Cairn…

And here is the specific Cairns forum if u have any more q's (don't know if everyone checks the main Australia forum): tripadvisor.com.au/ShowForum-g255069-i482-Ca…

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cairns

Just adding to the good suggestions gk mentioned.

It's a scenic drive up to Port Douglas, and recommend you also check out the Daintree area, including the River. There's plenty of wildlife spotting trips operate up the river - croc's sure to be seen.

If you have time, also recommend a trip up to Cape Tribulation and then the Bloomfield Track to Wujul Wujul falls, but a 4WHD needed. Amazing scenery not to be missed.

enjoy LTB

Edited: 14 December 2011, 11:25
Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Cairns

Thank u so much GK and Lifetraveller.

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Cairns

Pls suggest me some good tour operators. Do you advice me to book the tours in advance thru net. ! Where can I hire a car from in a reasonable rate?

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cairns

For the reef - Reef Magic from Cairns

If you want to venture further eg up the Bloomfield Track the best tour I know of is D'Arcy of Daintree. However you need to contact him and have a chat regarding where he'll depart, as it won't be from Cairns, you'll probably need to get up to Cape Tribulation or at the very least Port Douglas.

See TripAdvisor info on this link for that area and you'll find Mike D'Arcy details

tripadvisor.com.au/Attractions-g499639-Activ…

all the best LTB

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Cairns

Hi Everyone..!

I was just going through these combined helicopter flights and cruise tours in the great barrier reef. What do you suggest...do we do the cruise first and then the helicopter or vice versa? which will give us a better insight to the reef..!!! Has anyone used viator.com? how reliable are they?

Save Reply
9. Re: Cairns

helicopter first. Go 4 half hour. Unbeleivable

10. Re: Cairns

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2013, 10:27