We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Western Australia July 2012

Melbourne
Level Contributor
53 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Western Australia July 2012

Hi! My husband and I and two friends (roughly 50's) plan to fly to Perth in June 2012, spend a couple of days there, then hire a car. We are thinking of travelling through the South West and along the South Coast. If time permits, maybe do a couple of days north of Perth. We have two weeks in total up our sleeves.

Any suggestions as to a great itinerary and/or good places to stay as a base outside of Perth? Budget is not an issue but we're not millionaires!!!

Perth
Level Contributor
1,644 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Western Australia July 2012

Hi Veronica,

Maybe tell us a bit about what you are hoping to experience...beaches, wineries, restaurants, natural wonders, surfing, fishing, diving, shopping ( oops my mistake...you don't come to Perth to shop if you are from Melbourne haha).

Just will give us some ideas of what you are after to make some recommendations. At the moment I would say the Dunsborough area for ease of access to Margaret River, Busselton and Bunbury and then maybe the coast road to Albany via Peaceful Bay. Really depends on what you want to see and do though.

It will be a bit cooler but you do usually get some beautiful winter days here.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
53 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Western Australia July 2012

Thanks Hunter,

We are definitely interested in natural wonders, national park walks, beaches, wineries, galleries and restaurants. Not surfing, fishing, diving or shopping. So you think Dunsborough would be the best base for a few days, then Albany? What about a third place to stopover from Albany back to Perth? And what are must-do's in Perth itself?

Cheers

Veronica

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,510 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Western Australia July 2012

Remembering that July is well into winter and it will be fairly chilly (even more so in the south west) and if we're lucky, raining, I do think too much in the way of outdoor activities is unfeasible, and national park walks are possibly not the best idea. . But, as someone once said, there's no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothing :-)

Here's a link to the WA Tourism website to give you some ideas about what there is to see and do, that might interest you:

westernaustralia.com/au/Pages/Welcome_to_Wes…

Melbourne
Level Contributor
53 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Western Australia July 2012

Thanks YorkFoodie!

I shall rug up! But surely it can't be as cold as Melbourne in July!!!

Perth
Level Contributor
1,644 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Western Australia July 2012

I think Dunsborough or Margaret River would be a good place to base yourself initally from what you are after. There are some lovely beaches around Dunsborough and most of the good wineries are around Margaret River (altough there are some good ones when you head to Albany also). You also have the caves around Yallingup. Staying in either place you can just venture off daily and be at some lovely places within an hour.

Like YorkFoodie said it may be cold (especially in Albany) and wet but we also get a lot of clear cool days in July as well so you might be able to walk part of the Bibbulmun Track which is a nature walk which runs from the Perth Hills to Albany partially along the coast(either from Margaret River or Albany), or climb Bluff Knoll (not too far out of Albany).

There really isn't much between Perth and Albany (that I know of but someone may offer some other suggestions) unless you wanted a night in a Farmstay type place.

Must Do's in Perth would be a visit to Kings Park for the views, a day trip to the Swan Valley or make a couple of days of it because there are plenty of wineries and restaurants and a few galleries with some nice B & B type accomodation or the Vines Resort if you were keen for a game of golf. Also I think Hillarys Boat Harbour or Fremantle is a nice day out - fairly similar things on offer but Freo has more heritage type buildings where as Hillarys is a newer type Boardwalk set up.

Also check you dates as you may need to book ahead if your trip coincides with our school holidays.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
53 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Western Australia July 2012

Brilliant advice Hunter! Thank you so much for your time!

Veronica

A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Margaret River
Level Contributor
2,836 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Western Australia July 2012

Hi Veronica - A tour of the Southwest ideally requires a minimum of 3 separate locations to base yourselves at:- Margaret River Region, Pemberton/Walpole Region and Albany/Denmark Region.

The MR Region spans from Busselton to Augusta and the whole region is accessible wherever you base yourself so it comes down to whether you choose beach, forest, farm or in town accom. Ideally allow a minimum 2 night stay.

http://www.margaretriver.com/

Pemberton or Walpole is a good half way point between MR and Albany and has much to offer the visitor. Pemberton is one of my personal favourites and staying in a chalet with a log fire deep in the forest is a must do IMO (particularly so in winter). Could be done as an overnighter but I recommend a 2 night min. stay.

http://www.pembertonvisitor.com.au/

Denmark has some wonderful coastline at William Bay National Park and many fine wineries and countryside to explore, Denmark is also an easy 40 minute drive to Albany.

http://www.denmark.com.au/

Albany - lots to see and do here. The rugged coastline can be quite spectacular in winter because of the high ocean swells. There are also the tranquil beaches at Middleton and Emu point. Also the Stirling Ranges and Poronorups are well worth a visit. Min 2 night stay recommended.

www.amazingalbany.com.au/?Redirect=True

The Albany-Perth leg is about a 5 hour drive non-stop and quite easily done in one day. Not a lot to hold the interest of the visitor other than some small country towns for lunch breaks etc.

Also consider doing your tour 'clockwise' ie Albany first. It gets the long and uninteresting drive over and done with and results in your last day with a leisurely 2.5-3 hr drive back to Perth from MR.

If you post further queries in the Western Australian Forum you will probably get more responses from locals as I notice many regular contributors to the W.A. forum havent responded here.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
53 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Western Australia July 2012

Hi AJ!

Thanks for your brilliant advice! Your suggestion to do the Perth -Albany trek first is great and I hadn't thought of it at all. Makes great sense! We can fly into Perth, stay one night, make an early start and then relax for the rest of our holiday with easier distances to travel. I'm excited!!

Veronica

PS I shall post more questions!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
53 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Western Australia July 2012

South West region of Western Australia

today, 13:19

Hello all!

We're are definitely planning a tour of the region from Perth to (1)Albany,

(2)the Pemberton area

(3) Margaret River

(4) Perth.

Two weeks in total and staying in each area for two-three days.

Some people have advised me not to go in July because the weather is awful. Surely it can't be so bad? What do you suggest?

Also, have you got any good suggestions as to great rentals in the above localities? We are two couples, so will need two bedrooms with queen beds in each.

Any suggestions welcome!

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,510 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Western Australia July 2012

Well, it's not awful but nearly like Melbourne at times ;-) Just be prepared. Many people like the idea of sitting in front of a warm fire drinking hot chocolate or something stronger :-)