We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to visit Australia?

Southern United...
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Best time to visit Australia?

It will be our Silver anniversary in November but when is the best time to visit Australia?

We were considering going in January of 2014.

We would plan to see Perth, Sydney, Carins, Hamilton Island and maybe Darwin time permitting.

Last time we visited Australia was in August and it was great.

This time we want to be there for Australian summer so is January okay or would you suggest Feb or March?

Thanks

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,136 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to visit Australia?

Hi Fudge,

Sounds like a big trip :o) I wouldn't go in January. March would be better.

As you've visited before and particularly want to visit in our summer, I assume you are aware of the issues you may encounter with the wet/stinger season in the north.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,239 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to visit Australia?

Hi Fudge

For the months you mention March would be my pick as well, even then theer can be cyclones or a lot of rain around (+ heat) in the Northern parts of the country.

This link gives a bit of an overview of weather & recommended times to travel..

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255055-s208/Australi…

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,855 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to visit Australia?

I definitely would not go in January because it's school holidays and families are all traveling. You'll find everything more crowded and traveling will be more difficult and expensive. Besides, it's beastly hot then.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
24,838 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to visit Australia?

Also, if you want to visit the north (Cairns, Darwin etc) January is in cyclone season. March is still very hot, perhaps even April would be better.

Kingston, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
17,967 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time to visit Australia?

>>Last time we visited Australia was in August and it was great.<<

The pertinent question would be *where* did you visit in August, I'm guessing not Canberra :-) And why exactly do you want to come in summer, less clothes to squeeze in your luggage, swimming, etc? As with the US (see comparison here ga.gov.au/education/geoscience-basics/dimens… ) the climate varies from north to south. I agree with the others that January would not be my choice, it's the busy main school holidays and it's the hottest part of the year for the entire continent. Btw is November an option for travelling? I visited Cairns in October and it was good then, though much more humid than I am used to, and it's late spring in the southern states which is lovely for touring and sightseeing, so maybe November is worth researching?

(Of course it also depends on what La Nina decides to do!)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,667 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time to visit Australia?

Aaahhh - coming here in Summer

... well, we haven't had a lot of "summer" so far so you may be better opting for September through to November !! But skipping the dates when the school holidays are on in late Sept / early October.

The weather in September is lovely IMO - and March too ... I guess it comes down to when you can get some great air fares.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,510 posts
296 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time to visit Australia?

Jan-Feb is miserable in WA. February is our hottest month and last year it was fiercely hot throughout March. It's 38c as I type this and I'm really dreading the next few months.

It's also cyclone season, which could curb any ambitions of heading to the NW of WA.

My favorite months in WA are April-May and Sept-Nov. Wildflower season runs from about Sept-November and is a great time to visit WA.

Southern United...
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best time to visit Australia?

Hi

We visited in August on our last visit simply because it was school holidays in the Uk and it enabled us to bring our children with us.

This time the trip will just be for my husband and I ceebrating our silver anniversary.

On our visit in August (2005) Uluru was balmy and not too hot and also Cairns was very comnfortable tea shirt weather for us. I think in the entire months trip it rained in Ballarat. All other places it was blue skies and sun. W were very lucky.

WE have not seen Perth or Darwin. Is it worth a visit? We definately want to return to Sydney and Carins as there are so many things we wish to do and maybe take a more leisurely pace. Last time our visit we had things to do every single day which was great but also tiring.

My husband and I love chatting with locals, meeting other travellers and experiencing great scenery, new things and eating lovely food.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,510 posts
296 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best time to visit Australia?

Well, there's loads to do in WA, but it's a HUGE state, so you'll need plenty of time to give it justice. The SW corner of the state is a true gem and much less populated than many places over east. It all boils down to what you want to see and do.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,141 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best time to visit Australia?

Why not come in the November and celebrate your anniversary here? Oct/Nov & Apr/May are great months pretty much all over but the climate varies so much from north to south that what might be good in one area is terrible in another. It's why we all escape to the northern states for our holidays during winter!