We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places NOT to visit.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Places NOT to visit.

Now I've a question myself.

What are places in Oz NOT to visit.

Boring, crowded, tourist traps?

We've just found two: 1. Monkey Mia (TT)

2. Goldcoast (Crowded)

What do you think?

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places NOT to visit.

I wouldn't write off the whole of the gold coast (it is a massive area encompassing hundreds of km of beach and the hinterland area as well. some areas are beautiful and secluded..... but i would avoid surfers paradise.

I know ellemay will hate me for saying this, but i also think the main foreshore area at manly in sydney is overrated.... this is just my personal opinion!! ut if you walk around the coast a little way you find some much nicer beaches

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,057 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places NOT to visit.

I'm really looking forward to the discussion on this one. I won't contibute much specifically, because we haven't found too many places in Aus that meet this description...we avoid anywhere we think will like the plague.

..one attraction that springs to mind for crowded is Puffing Billy in the Dandenongs...but take this with a grain of salt, we REALLY hate crowds and long queues. We got to the top of the hill with the kids, looked down at the length of the queue looked at eachother and got back in the car and went bush LOL ...and it was April school holidays...some places you need to pick your time.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,125 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places NOT to visit.

LOL snodge,

We had a totally opposite experience at puffing Billy..however it was freezing cold and threatening to pour rain when we headed off for the first train of the day..

We often take the get there as early as possible approach as this can reduce queues..

We too hate crowds and huge queues and have had a similar experience to your PB at Scenic rail at leura (really bad timing ...3 tour buses plus school holidays in Jan on a weekend!)

On my list of tourist traps would be the Ned Kelly exhibition at Glenrowan...

and i think we may be able to add The minus five bar at Circular Quay...(but I'm not going in to find out!)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,608 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places NOT to visit.

This is such a negative question.

I'm like snodge - if I dont think I'll like it then I dont go.I think its a matter of doing your research and knowing what you'll find and then making up your mind. For instance I agree with Georgia -parts of the Gold Coast are absolutely gorgeous - but since I have zero interest going to the "worlds" I avoid them like the plague. However I know thousands upon thousands of Australian families make the pilgrimage there each year and love it to bits.

The same applies to Monkey Mia and you have said yourself Tet that the drive in is fantastic and that the other attractions close by such as the beach made of shells and the Hamlin Pools are fantastic. I also thought the beach itself at Monkey Mia was beautiful and I enjoyed seeing the dolphins as well.

Its all about each to their own (again) . My husband and I drove straight past the gates of Disney world in Orlando Florida - yet most Americans we met assumed that we would go there and spend days. We weren't interested- but that doesnt mean to say its bad or not worth seeing - just not our cup of tea.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,184 posts
1,433 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places NOT to visit.

No G/M I dont hate you..for saying Manly...just totally disagree..Manly is our culture...same as Bondi, Surfers, and any other famous beaches...its what we do, go to the beach..

Plus as Nozzie said the Gold Coast has many wonderful gems..

Its the same with most places....

Miami Beach in USA is crowded ..

Rio de Janerio Beach is crowded

Waikiki Beach is crowded

and so on...

Yes, Gold Coast can get crowded...would you miss the above? and why are they crowded..

All major places and attracions get crowded..

I certainly would not miss the Gold Coast..surfers maybe..but I would still want to see it.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places NOT to visit.

Well, when I mentioned Gold Coast I was refering to SP of course and I only put a question like this as I love the country I am visiting of course. Otherwise I would not be interested!

As for Monkey Mia. We stayed a week in Port Julia. Never heard of? Ok it's in the Yorke Peninsula and we've rented a shak (or shag)

Great beach and we walked for miles along it's shore. Suddenly there was a dolphin and he or she swam for a long time besides us no more than 10 meters away. That was an unforgettable experience! Monkey Mia's dolphins are domesticated but people will deny it. It's not the dolphins, it's the explotation of these great animals that bothers us.

And for Manly. It maybe is not the greatest beach but from here there is one of Australians highlights: The ferry to Sydney. I agree, it's overpriced but they have great dining.

For Ned Kelly the Bushranger. Loved his history. There is no town called Ned Kelly. In the Usa there is. Not Ned Kelly but Sundance Wy, named after the crook The Sundance Kid

(his real name was Harry Longbaugh).

I did not mention boring places in Australia

but I remember one. It's on the Barkly highway crossing the border between QLD and NT. There was absolutely nothing but heath, flat dry country and flies. We sat down, had a

hot coffee(from the themos, no roadhouse over there) and said to each other: This is the real outback and we loved every second of our short stay.

Drove on with 160 kmph, NT has no speed limit Hurray! and reached the Stuart Highway the only NS route and we thought: This will be a crowded road. Looked right, looked left, no cars. Also the SH was deserted!

You, Australians, probably can't imagine what that's to a guy from Holland with it's extreme traffic. Your most crowded roads are like smothing waves to us. Yes even Sydney or Melbourne.

That's why we love your country that must and return every other year. (In between it's the USA our second, maybe first love.)

Tet

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,125 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places NOT to visit.

Tet...

The Ned Kelly exhibition is in the

Town of Glenrowan...(NE Victoria)

(no mention of a town called that).

Glenrowan in itself is okay provided you are willing to pay thru the nose for anything with "his" image on it...toursim based on an incident honed to perfection...

alternatively it's a good stop to stretch the legs on the way to melbourne you just don't spend any money..

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Places NOT to visit.

I wouldnt right off the Gold Coast totally, look at Coolangatta right next to where the planes land,well actually an eight minute taxi from the airport. The planes do not bother you at all here!!

There is a beaut beach and you have Kirra another suburb there with great beaches, or go a bit south to Rainbow bay and then you can go further down the coast into top of NSW on the border,just 5 mins from Coolangatta/Tweed Heads to Banora Point and Kingscliff all lovley places.

There is the hinterland, which is beautiful.

You dont have to be touristy, we never do the tourist things there.

If you personally feel that the dolphins are being exploited, thats up to you, dont go.

We all have opinions on that matter, and I personally loves animals, so its a difficult one!!!

hope you enjoy, Im sure you will!!!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,608 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Places NOT to visit.

Ok Tet- I am glad you love Australia so much.

But yes well now I am slightly irritated. Why would you assume that people here have never heard of Port Julia. You are talking to us. We live here.

I have lived here for 55 years and travelled pretty well every corner of Australia including the Barkly Highway and possibly many others that you have never been to- (Oodnadatta Track, Srezlecki, Birdsville, Old Telegraph track to the top of Cape York, Gibb River Road, the very south west corner of Tasmania - on an on I could go!! and yes I have heard of and been to Port Julia. And yes you can see and swim with and be with dolphins in lots of places in both Australia and elsewhere (USA, Mexico, NZ, Belize- lots of places).

Whenever we go sailing off our coast here we see them and if you are at our beaches early in the morning you will almost always see them right off the suburban beaches of Adelaide and yes you can swim with them here- but at Monkey Mia you get to interact very closely with them. Not your cup of tea?- well that's fine - but some people love it!!

Buderim, Australia
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Places NOT to visit.

Any AFL football game; anywhere, anytime!

Okay, some of you love it but some definitely do not.