We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Australia and newzealand

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
19 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Australia and newzealand

Myself with my wife and a couple are planning a vacation to Australia and newzealand for about 3 weeks.

I was suggested to visit mebourn,sydney,brisbane(gold coast)and cairns.

In newzealand I was suggested In North island- Oakland and Rotura,and In Southland - Queensland,wellington and christ church.

Please advice the places mentioned above are worth visiting.Also the convinient mode of transport to travel.Also the places of interest in these places.Is it safe to self drive in australian cities.

I will too glad to recieve suggestions Anil Kakad Bombay

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,837 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Australia and newzealand

Hello Anil,

I know it is a long way to come but I think trying to fit both Australia and New Zealand into three weeks is too much. You will spend much time unpacking and re-packing your bags and at airports and not enough time to really enjoy the places you are visiting.

I would pick one country and spend all your time there. This is particularly true if you want to drive.

In 3 week in Australia you could see all the things on your list if you flew between these cities. This would give you time to really explore each city rather than just rushing through.

The same applies to NZ.

I see you are new to TA (welcome) so have a good read of the appropriate top Questions (upper right) - on each city page and on the Australia forum front page

The search box directly above your post will also allow you to access previous posts.. use phrasing like you would for a google search

I realise this doesn't help much with the specifics of your question but I think you need a clearer plan of what you want to see and do. Some more research on this site - and all those given in responses to other questions by previous posters will help.

cheers

helen

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,566 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Australia and newzealand

Hi Anil

As Helen says, 3 weeks in Australia would really give you time to explore all the places on your list.

Both countries need time ... Australia is vast - around 1,000km between Sydney and Brisbane and around the same between Sydney and Melbourne

If you do want to travel to NZ, bear in mind a couple of things:

NZ's time zone is ahead of ours so you will "lose" a couple of hours when you fly from Australia to NZ, consequently, you may leave here in the morning but you won't arrive until mid / late afternoon - a "whole" day lost in transit.

Also, if you do want to spend a few days to a week in NZ, then pick either the north or the south island ... you'll barely scratch the surface with just one small part of either island IMO. And BTW, Wellington is in the North Island. And finally, I think self driving is the way to go in NZ - is this what you were thinking ?

One thing we do need to know to help you more -

1. when are you planning to come here,

2. have you booked your airfares, and,

3. which city / s will you be flying into and out of?

Edited: 26 January 2012, 00:03
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Australia and newzealand

Personally, I'd pick an area of Australia that you may like.

i'd go for Sydney area for 2 weeks. Lovely harbour, catch the ferry around it. City centre and the Rocks the oldest part of the city ( has markets weekend) and beaches not far Bondi, Manly ( as markets at last weekend). Don't need a car around the city and can get a ferry to Manly. Also has drives to Hunter Valley ( need a couple of days if into wineries) or the Blue Mountains. May pick up a tour to these if you don't want to drive.Can also drive south along the beaches.

OR

Can you fly into the Gold Coast. If not into Brisbane.

You can get to the Gold Coast in about 2 hrs and our northern beaches by 2 hours. In 2 weeks you could drive from the airport up north via the north coast beaches as far as Hervey Bay where you could get over to Fraser Island ( has resort and proabbly 4WD territory or Bundaberg ( last surf beach before the reef) You could drive up into the north coast hinterland to Maleny or Montville ( arty crafty B & B restaurants, views)

My trip list

tripadvisor.com.au/GoListDetail-i20972-North…

You could drive down from Brisbane to Tamborine Mountain up in the Gold Coast hinterland ( B & B's cabins fireplaces in winter, cooler in summer and overlooks the skycrapers of the Gold Coast. Arts. crafts, wineries, brewery, cheese factory, boutiques, restaurants, and a popular area.

From the Gold Cost in about 2 hours you can drive down to Ballina and along the coast route back up through Byron Bay. there are lovely beaches just over the border from the GC, including Kingscliff and has a beach road south and back onto the highway.

You can see all my reviews re Kingscliff , caloundra ( north coast of Brisbane) under my contributions.

Also ahve a few trip lists around the area mentioned.

Then you can also fly direct to New Zealand from Brisbane or the Gold Coast Airport. Approx 4 hrs or so. one way.

I really prefer the South Island for scenery. I have been to both and the south island has more lakes and mountains.

I have a trip list for 2 weeks on the South Island and probably one for the north island. We went in October.

here are their links

tripadvisor.com.au/GoListDetail-i17115-South…

tripadvisor.com.au/GoListDetail-i18562-Drivi…

Look at my reviews pages for towns along the routes also.

Edited: 26 January 2012, 03:21
Sydney
Level Contributor
43 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Australia and newzealand

I agree with some of the other 3 weeks will not be enough. You should extend by at least 1 week. I have been to all the places you suggest. I don't know where you are flying from. I suggest for example if you are leaving from Singapore, look for a flight to Cairns. Spend 3-4 nights. See a Crocodile Farm, a Barrier Reef Cruise(1 day) and a rainforest tour. Then get yourself to Gold Coast for 2-3 days,(Forget Brisbane) Then travel to Sydney. Do a Sydney harbour tour. Vist Manly Beach, Bondi Beach and Operah House, The Rocks area, Centrepoint Tower, Harbour Bridge Climb. You will need 3-4 days for this. After that I would fly to New Zealand direct to Queenstown. Hired a car spend 2 nights in Queenstown, then travel to Milford Sound whic is near Te Kanu. After that travel over to Fox Glazier or Franz Jospeh Glazier on the West Coast. Stay overnight. Travel to Greymouth and dump the car. Catch the trans alpine train to Christchurch. Stay there and then fly to Wellington. Stay overnight and drive to Rotorua and see the thermal springs. Depends what time you have after that other trips would include driving to Bay of Islands (Pahia). Also whilst in Australia you should do a flight from Sydney to Ayres Rock. (Just 2 nights)

Again you probably won't have time to do all of these, but these are the cream of the highlights.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,837 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Australia and newzealand

Kezza...

I don't know that I'd be trying to go from Queenstown to Te Anau (Milford Sound) and then up to the glaciers in one day??? Is this really what you meant?

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,600 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Australia and newzealand

If I only had three weeks I'd spend it in one country not two ... with long flights in between. This is not Europe or Asia where countries are just around the corner. That's a lot of travelling so why not think about the things which interest you and design your trip around that rather than rushing around to see as much as you can...

you really don't mention your interests and it is entirely possible that some of the suggestions made above may not appeal at all. It's easier for people to offer advice if you tell them what you might be interested in.

ie: seeing a wonderful white beach, snorkelling with fish, riding a horse, visiting art galleries, self drive day trips through scenic routes (OR) no self driving at all.. and yes Australia is easy to drive if you are a capable driver, often hiring a car is the best option for flexibility and can be cheaper than taking tours.

Isle of Wight
Level Contributor
144 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Australia and newzealand

Hi all,

Wanted to ask a question but have forgotten how to find the right forum etc, but this one is topical and up to date so i would like to ask anyone about accomodation in Australia

Bein used to the cheaper hotles in asia , australia is going to cost a lot since i am planning on stying up to 4 weeks en route to fiji , usa.

trying to find accomodation through trivago , i cant seem to find anything for hervey bay outskirts, obvioulsy middle in the resort is going to be expensive but i was thinking bout staying outside the main areas ´,anyone any ideas ? might be staying in sydnaey , brisbane as well and would really appreicate any input ,

And what are the chances of picking up some part time work in a bar or yard etc ?

thanks in advance

simon

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,566 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Australia and newzealand

Hi DrWho

Re your questions concerning Hervey Bay and Brisbane I think if you could post your question to the Queensland forum -

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowForum-g255067-i460-Qu…

you'd probably get a better response than tagging onto someone else's thread where the regulars may miss your question altogether.

Re your questions for Sydney, try this forum - tripadvisor.com.au/ShowForum-g255060-i122-Sy…

As for part time work, you need to check here and apply for the appropriate visa prior to arrival (that's my understanding) - www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/

Edited: 29 January 2012, 20:26
Isle of Wight
Level Contributor
144 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Australia and newzealand

Hi doug

nice one , thanks for that !

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
70 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Australia and newzealand

I agreed wi all that you can't SEE both countries in 3 weeks. To do justice to it new Zealand needs a full 3 weeks with 2 islands to cover with diversity. Mountains, lakes, beaches, farmland, glaciers,tussock lands,caves, geysers, it's all there!

Again australia deserves a full 3 weeks if you want to see 4-5 areas. To do both is like jumping out and snapping pictures before you jump in the car and race off....why bother...you should just get a good glossy travel book from the library!