We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planned trip Oct/Nov 2012

Conwy, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Planned trip Oct/Nov 2012

Hi - Have been checking out the forum for a while and have found lots of useful information. I am now planning the "trip of a lifetime" to visit family in Queensland (Bundaberg) and Melbourne. People have suggested I visit Sydney as well. No flights etc booked yet but am doing my research.

Suggestions/advice needed - is it better to fly in and out of same airport - or fly in to one - i.e. Melbourne up to Sydney and fly home from Brisbane?

Sorry if question sounds silly, but have never flown before - and want to make the most of a visit to Australia!

Thanks in advance - more questions will probably follow!

Jan

Flying from London - Solo traveller - Trip will probably be a maximum of 4 weeks.

Brisbane Aus
Level Contributor
676 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planned trip Oct/Nov 2012

Welcome and can I say first of all, best of luck with all your travel plans.

Australia is a very big country with vast distances to be covered e.g. a flight between Brisbane and Sydney is 1 hour but close to 12 hours driving.

As you are on your own driving is probably not the best option as you cannot share the drive and costs can add up.

Firstly decide how long you wish to spend in each place with family. Will anyone else travel with you or will you be alone?

Then with the remaining time decide where you will go. e.g. there is much to see in Melbourne and the surrounding areas. The same for Bundaberg where you can visit the lower part of the Great Barrier Reef and stay on one of the islands. You can also travel further north to the more popular spots such as Airlie Beach etc.

Sydney is a great spot and worth a visit but will you only stay there. If so fly in and out of there.

My advice is to start in Melbourne and work your way north or vice versa.

You will be able to fly directly into Melbourne and out of Brisbane. Bundaberg is a 4 hour drive from Brisbane. Don't fly in or out of sydney as you are back tracking. Try to go in the one direction to maximise your time(IMO).

Best of luck and have a great time

Buck

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,378 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planned trip Oct/Nov 2012

Hi JayJay, I agree with Buck but if it was me, I would visit your family and Bundaberg first and then work your way south to Melbourne.

Why? Well Oct/Nov will be very hot in the north but still warming up in the south. So by the time you get down to Melbourne the weather should be nice and pleasant. Just my opinion.

Oh, and do visit Sydney for a couple of days as you head south. There is a lot to see and do.

Conwy, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Planned trip Oct/Nov 2012

Hi

Thanks for both your replies. It confirms what I thought. I don't drive, so any travel will be by plane. And, as I may not get the chance to visit again, want to make the best use of my time.

The comment about the weather/heat was a helpful one.

I will be staying with family in Bundaberg, so accomodation there not a problem. In Melbourne, I will be checking out hotels etc, as I think my relations will not have room to put me up!. I hope to spend about 9 days with both families, so a short visit to Sydney could be fitted in OK.

Thanks once again... back to the research tomorrow.

Jan

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,142 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planned trip Oct/Nov 2012

Although the weather is a factor in which city you wil begin and end, November is just before the cyclone season in northern Australia.

Where in Melbourne does your relatives live? Would you like to be near them or more central?

Just bear in mind that on the first week of November, the Melbourne Cup carnival is on and accommodation is always at a premium. I would stay clear of Melbourne (unless of course if you are going to the races) during this time.

Conwy, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Planned trip Oct/Nov 2012

Hi

Thanks for your message - yes I had noted about the Melbourne Cup - not into horse racing! So I am taking that into consideration along with the weather/seasons.

Family live at West Sunshine - not sure about the others in the Melbourne area. Would like to be within easy access of family but it will depend on costs/availability - so am not fussy. Will be checking this out with them over the weekend.

Thanks again - your advice is greatly appresiated.

Jan

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
186 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planned trip Oct/Nov 2012

Hi jan!

Sydney is great for maybe a 2 night stay, and you could probably get some cheap flights from either Brisbane or Melbourne to just fly in-fly out. As someone else mentioned Australia really is huge, especially compared to the uk, so keep that in mind in your planning. I have had lots of friends visit from the uk that couldnt grasp the size until they got here!

Depending on the time of year (I believe it was mentioned oct/nov?) bundaberg will be getting hot hot hot!! Be ready for it, it's hot even for us queenslanders!! (that being said its a great time to enjoy swimming!) It is a nice place and will be good because you have family there, but really there's not that much to do there, can you convince one of your family there to travel a little with you, I would suggest staying there maybe five days, then heading down to the Sunshine Coast for a few days - you can go to Australia zoo while you're there which is really great! Then down to Brisbane for a few days and down for a look at surfers paradise and the gold coast..then maybe a flight to Sydney if you decide you want to head there, and the fly from there to Melbourne for a week or so..Melbourne is very different to up here in queensland so you'll get variety.

In regards to the Melbourne cup being on it would be great fun to go to if you had someone to go with even if you're not into races..everyone here gets into it even though we don't watch a single race all year it's a big event here in oz! Even if you don't go to the actual races it's fun to go to a Melbourne cup luncheon at a club or something and have a bit of fun with entertainment and a few little bets on the big race! We have the luncheons everywhere - they do call Melbourne cup the race that stops the nation!

Also another option in place of sydney or to add is heading up to north Queensland to cairns and the great barrier reef and the daintree rainforest..all just depends on what you like!

In regard to flying it's probably cheaper to fly in and out of one port eg Brisbane and just pick up cheap domestic flights, but I'd check it out you might get lucky.

Hope I haven't babbled on too much and don't hesitate to ask more questions!

Wyfee :)

Conwy, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Planned trip Oct/Nov 2012

Thanks for your reply- and the comments re Bundaberg. My relations are in their 70's so long trips out are probably out of the question. Another relation in the Glass House Mountain area will come up for a few days, so it is to be very much a family orientated stay in Queensland. (They emigrated 40 plus years ago so there is a lot to catch up on!!). I had noticed it can be very hot there, so may do that part of the trip first. Brisbane for a couple of days is an idea I hadn't thought of. This is why I have started researching now.... so many things to take into consideration!

As to flights, it seems there is not a great deal of difference if I fly in/out of one place, as opposed to fly in at one, fly out of another. I think , in the end, the trip will be governed by cost!

Melbourne Cup sounds rather like our "Grand National" - even offices and those who never watch a race or bet, run a sweepstake etc on that race!

Thanks again for your comments, all advice is helpful .

Regards

Jan

8. Re: Planned trip Oct/Nov 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 April 2013, 10:23