We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

medical coverage

Squamish, Canada
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
medical coverage

Hello,

Me and my husband will be traveling in Australia in April for 6 weeks. We are looking into medical coverage for tourists (we are Canadian) and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. We are hoping to do 'higher risk' sports activities like sky diving which isn't covered under most medical plans. Thanks for your help :)

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
6,002 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: medical coverage

As Canadian tourists in Australia, I'm not too sure if any Australian company would insure you. It may be worth asking your question in the Canadian forum.

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: medical coverage

Most Australian insurers will provide medical insurance for visitors to Australia. Just Google 'medical insurance visitors to Australia' and compare what is on offer. Make sure that Ambulance cover is included as that can get very expensive especially if you should get unlucky and need the air ambulance.

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,635 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: medical coverage

Isn't google a wonderful thing ? You can find so much stuff there and increase your knowledge about almost anything ...

I suggest googling Canadian sites - with all the outdoors activities on offer in Canada .

I'm not sure if Australian sites will cover your travel back to Canada if needs be seeing tho' Aussie sites generally sell to Aussies who want to get home if there is a medical emergency...but I may be wrong ... it has been known to happen before today :)

Also, if you have a credit card or current health insurance, check out those companies and see if they offer travel insurance...mastercard gold cards and various other credit cards have travel insurance at no extra cost provided you meet their terms and conditions about payment for your travel.

If you can't see the sorts of things you want covered, don't take that as a "NO" - contact them and ask them and see if you can specifically get it noted

Have you tried using google and typed in "travel insurance for canadians and adventure sports" - you might find what you are looking for - eg -

insurance-canada.ca/travel-products/travel-b…

Did I mention before that google is a wonderful thing if you don't know the answer to anything ?

Edited: 07 February 2012, 00:41
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: medical coverage

BUPA, Australian Unity, Medibank and HIF among others all offer health insurance specifically for visitors to Australia. Sometimes it's easier and more comprehensive for someone to do a Google search for themselves so that they can see everything on offer rather than post a long list of links. In addition, Google also comes up with extra sites which may be relevant such as the Australian Government web site which gives information about medical insurance needs to tourists visiting Audtralia.

It's presumptuous and not in the least helpful to imply that because I direct the OP to an area where they can find the answer to their question that I <<don't know the answer to anything>>

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,635 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: medical coverage

"It's presumptuous and not in the least helpful to imply that because I direct the OP to an area where they can find the answer to their question that I <<don't know the answer to anything>>"

If my post was still there you could read it again and maybe not make any assumptions about my apparent "presumptions"... from my perspective it's not all about you Eva, it's about answering the OP's question.

I think my post had a good link for a potential insurance company for the OP - nothing more nothing less...and now that link is gone. Thanks.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: medical coverage

The OP was <<looking into medical coverage for tourists>> on the Australian Forum - so with the utmost respect, DougoOz, I do believe that I answered exactly that question.

I agree with you completely - it's all about the question, not the responders.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,635 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: medical coverage

OK, glad you agree with me - then I'll retype my post !

Edited: 06 February 2012, 03:53
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,635 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: medical coverage

Adventure12_seeker_3

What I said to you in my post which was deleted (# 3) was along these lines :

* Google is a great resource when you don’t know the answer.

My concerns about you as a Canadian buying travel insurance here is that :

*TI offered in Australia is aimed at Australians. What would happen if a medical issue required you to be repatriated back to Canada ? Would an Aussie TI company cover you for that? I simply don’t know the answer to that and I would be surprised if any website in Australia for TI (for Aussies) would have the answer to that question… I think you would have to contact them directly to find the answer to that so Google may not help you there.

My second issue raised was about seeking advice from travel insurance companies from Canada – and my advice was basically :

* Canada has a lot of adventure type sports on offer so surely they must cover those kind of situations there, so why not when you’re overseas?

* if you have a health insurance company or use a Credit Card such as a Gold Mastercard, you may be able to access Travel Insurance and that insurance may offer you cover that suits your needs.

* also, just because a company doesn’t note adventure sports, doesn’t mean they don’t cover them so contact them directly and ask, and if they do and you want to go with that TI company, then ask them to note it on your policy.

I also suggested a specific google question, and suggested you try typing “travel insurance for Canadians and adventure sports”. This is the link I posted.

insurance-canada.ca/travel-products/travel-b…

This insurance company is a Canadian one. Why is that important? Well IMHO, if something was to happen to you, you’re a Canadian dealing with a local company rather say an Aussie company which may not have any offices in Canada. I could only imagine that would be difficult trying to deal with a company thousands of km away if you are back home suffering from some illness or injury, trying to extract money or compensation from them.

In addition and with the benefit of re-writing this post, it makes no sense for me to look for an O/S travel insurance provider when I travel overseas. I want to make sure that I can go and see someone and discuss the issues face to face if necessary when I get back here and, more importantly for me, I’m covered by Australian consumer protection laws. I have no idea what sort of protection is offered to you medically and as a consumer in Canada.

I suggest that you tailor your searches in Google to find the answers you seek …. and BTW, there was more than one “Canadian” company that offered adventure travel insurance … now … isn’t Google a wonderful thing when you don’t know the answers?

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: medical coverage

Completely agree with DougoOz on this one. Find a Canadian company that not only covers your health but also your travel. The Aussie ones will only cover your health and medical needs and then only to a limit. Proper travel insurance will cover you for much more and will probably work out cheaper.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,132 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: medical coverage

Yeah, I agree, go local.

imagine the phone bills if you need to talk to them about a claim...