We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gap year

6 posts
Save Topic
Gap year

Hey!:)

I leaving for Australia on 12th April , arrive on the 15th after a few days in hong long . I'm hoping to stay out in oz for one year working and traveling and hopefully visit Fiji and nz if goes well. Will I get a job okay as I know April can be pretty tough especially with the weather !

Anyone recommend anywhere to visit ?

Thanks!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Gap year

It depends on what qualifications you have and what sort of work you are looking for. If you want bar/hotel/retaurant work do your RSA certificate (alcohol awareness) on line before you go as it is needed everywhere. look on websites such as seek.com.au and you will get an idea of what jobs are available

Edited: 23 March 2012, 14:57
rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,649 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gap year

You _do_ have a work visa I hope?

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,097 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gap year

What's tough about the weather in April in Australia?

6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Gap year

I got told that there is limited jobs I take it that's not true ?

Also I have a working holiday visa and I have a HND which is equivalent to first year of uni , after oz I'm going yogi ish my degree

Edited: 23 March 2012, 19:34
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Gap year

Finish*

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,097 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gap year

"I got told that there is limited jobs I take it that's not true ?"

I didn't mean to question on the jobs side, just when I read your post I thought you meant there was something about the weather that made it an especially hard time to get work. That surprised me because April is usually lovely weather and a popular holiday time. I can't really comment on whether what you've been told is true or not.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gap year

for your job search:

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-jobs/c9302

6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Gap year

Thanks , I've already looked on gum tree . Im traveling with a company to bunac and I'm sure they do a course in which you get your alcohol certificate , going to do it as it will be a lot easier getting a job !

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,802 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gap year

Hi Kristayyy.

please don't be under the illusion that once you have your RSA you can just walk straight into a job ... plenty of young Aussies with same also looking and our retail economy is contractingso plenty of unemployed shop assistants looking for work in the hospitality industry.

If you are prepared to do pretty hard physical work (but for reasonable pay) you could consider fruit/vege picking - it's regional so you will get to see a bit of the country side.

my daughter is currently working near Griffith (NSW) and says there are heaps of backpackers from all over the world - many of them on a gap year.

Edited: 25 March 2012, 02:26
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
78 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gap year

The Fruitshack in Leeton (which is near Griffith) has lots of backpackers from all over the world for seasonal work. Hard work but it looks like they have a great time while they are there. Good The Fruitshack and read their Facebook page.