We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do you think of these travel plans?

Southern United...
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
What do you think of these travel plans?

Hi all,

I am looking at and researching possibile routes for our next trip to Australia in 2014. I do plan head!

We have been to Australia before in 2005 in which we saw Sydney, Melbourne, Ayers Rock, Cairns, and Brisbane and then flying home via Fiji.

This time we are having to be selective with our choices so are planning to return to Sydney, Cairns with maybe a few days on Hamilton Island??, Darwin for a few nights and then on the Ghan to Adelaide then drive a few days to Melborne. Hoping to stop off at Tahiti on route back to UK.

I am not sure if taking the Ghan is worth it as there seems to be a lot of negative feedback about it. Or should we consider the Indian pacific so we skip the adelaide to darwin in place and have perth to sydney?????

Our total trip will be 28 days.

Just wondered if any of you have any suggestions please> We loved Australia before but this time it will be just the two of us so we wanted to make it extra special and memorable.

Thanks

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What do you think of these travel plans?

if u like train travel i guess the ghan or the indian pacific would be fine. not on my bucket list however. seeing u have been to the red centre then the trip across the nullabor to perth might be something different. u could drive from melbourne to adelaide and pick up the train there. there is so much to do in western australia i would be checking that out as a major part of your tour.

personally i would never 'do' cairns and hamilton. a bit same same. cairns would win out every time, if i had to make a choice. so much more to do in the area

have u considered the cook islands instead of tahiti on the way home. much better (esp aitutaki) but dont tell anyone!

Edited: 24 March 2012, 19:03
Southern United...
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What do you think of these travel plans?

Hi Lien thanks so much for your reply. It is so helpful to have your views. Our last trip was planned with a lot of help from all on this forum. My husband and I would certainly consider Perth .

Would love to do the cook islands but travel agent said it would be complex with flights????? He said flying qantas is ideal for our entire trip and that Tahiti is easier than cook islands????

I would also prefer cook islands too. Have heard that Aitukaki is stunning

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,833 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What do you think of these travel plans?

Hi Fudge!

Yeah Cooks are out if doing it on RTW.

I've heard mixed reviews on all of the train trips but the negatives have far outweighed the positives.. Perthite Oz has a review somewhere on her experience of the Indian Pacific I think.

I'd defintitely pop in Perth if you can.

I'm another in not cairns and Hammo, one or the other and it will depend on your main reason for going. If it is beach and water trips them possibly hammo, but it also depends on the time of year

Another option to consider (I don;t think you did it last time) would be Kangaroo Island

Southern United...
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What do you think of these travel plans?

we can be flexible when we go. Our anniversary is in November so could travel November or Jan - march.

Is there any way we could do the cook islands????

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What do you think of these travel plans?

air new zealand and virgin aus can get u to the cooks.

at some time during the season they both have direct flights from sydney not via auckland (well they did last year).

air new zealand had a once a week flight from auckland to lax via rarotonga.

dont know if that still exists. the route wasn't too well patronized apparently.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,802 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What do you think of these travel plans?

The Indian Pacific is a pleasant way to travel if you go Gold Class. Otherwise, don't even consider it. You are on a train for 2 nights and 1.5 days if doing Adelaide/Perth so be prepared for relaxing, reading, talking to others, eating good food and drinking good wine.

Here is what happened to us Feb 2011. Note I had been on the IP previously.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g255103-i531-k4278…

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,833 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What do you think of these travel plans?

November would be my pick

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,663 posts
1,612 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What do you think of these travel plans?

Another vote for November as Jan/ Feb is very iffy regarding the weather especially if you are planning to visit Nth Qld or NT due to the Cyclone / Wet & Stinger Season.. Feb being the worst month.

September IMO is the best month to travel to Australia.

I'm a big fan of Darwin - in the cooler months there is plenty to do & see.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i18612-Darwin_T…

If you have already seen Ayers Rock / Alice Springs then why not fly down to Adelaide & see Kangaroo Island. It makes a perfect few days getaway.

http://www.tourkangarooisland.com.au/

The other option which IMO is fab is touring Tasmania. The warmer months like Jan / Feb is absolutely perfect weather. For additional info on Hobart.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i20250-Getting_…

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,101 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What do you think of these travel plans?

It seems to me that the Cook Islands are the sort of place that if you want to go you need to go to a bit of trouble and just do it. If you need to go via Auckland then why not just decide to check out Auckland too and spend a little less time in places you've already visited before.

I'm also inclined to jump on the "consider WA" bandwagon. I like to see new places, so I'd find it hard to revisit several places I've been before if there's somewhere as amazing as WA or Kangaroo Island ... or Tassie waiting to be discovered.

10. Re: What do you think of these travel plans?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 10:40