We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honey moon

Domzale, Slovenia
2 posts
Save Topic
Honey moon

Me and my wife are visiting Australia for honey moon. We are comming to Melbourn at 28 of october in the morning. And we have flight back from Sydney on 17 of november.

What do you suggest?

I have plan something like this:

First day we will spent in Melbourn. Second day I thought to visit Philip island and third day go with camper on tour to Kangaroo island(Great Ocean Road) and sleep in Camper. Is it allowed to sleep in camper? Or is it better to take the tour with local agency - but it is quite expensive. Then about 3 of november we will take flight to Alice Springs and visit Uluru rock and on 5th of november take flight to whitsunday island. There we are staying 4 days, visiting Great Barrier Reef and relaxing. On 8th of november we are taking the camper to go back to Sydney and visiting Brisbane, Fraser island on way ....and comming to Sydney on 14 of november. Than we have 2-3 days in Sydney until flight back.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Simon

Broadford, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,167 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honey moon

Hi,

Are you planning on hiring a camper and taking it to Phillip Island? You can only stop overnight in Victoria in designated campsites or caravan/camping parks. Roadside camping is not permitted.

Kangaroo island is in South Australia1200 km from Phillip Island. It will take 3-4 days if you go along the great Ocean Road and through Mount Gambier to Robe

and up to Murray Bridge. Maybe a day less if you go inland via the Grampians.

When you get to Cape Jervis you may find your Hire Camper is not covered by insurance on the Ferry. That is a risk you'd have to take. Your travel insurance may cover you for any damage, you'd have to check. You would then need to drop your camper off before flying out from Adelaide to Yulara.

One of the QLD people would advise you better about your camper van trek from The Whitsundays/Airlie Beach. I am not sure if you would pick a one-way rental up there and get to Sydney comfortably in 6 days - it's about 2000 km if you go the coastal route.You have to book to get onto Fraser Island and you have to have a 4WD and permits. http://www.boxatrix.com/fraser/permits.htm

As to camper vans, its a personal choice - if you like them go for it. Bear in mind that fuel is about $1.55 a litre here and you will need to factor in that cost to your travelling, as well as the price of camp sites and caravan parks. Some charge per site, others per person. Some camper vans are more fuel efficient than others.

Search on the forums before committing to what seems like a really great price from some rental companies.

Domzale, Slovenia
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Honey moon

Thank you for your suggestions.

My plan now is:

28 .10 - Melbourne

29.10-. one day tour to Philip island by agency

30.10. - Melbourne

31.11. - 02.11 - tour from Melbourne to Adelaide via Great ocean road

03.11. - 04.11 - tour to Kangaroo island

(option would be also by plane to Adelaide and 4days tour on Kangaroo island instead of Great ocean road, but i guess the first option is better?)

Next I have 2 options.

Option 1:

05.11. flight from Adelaide to Ayers Rock and visit Uluru and 06.11. flight to Whitsunday. Stay there 4 days and 09.11. flight to Brisbane.

10.11 to 14.11 by camper to Sydney(5 days for 900 km and sleeping in natural parks is more or less easy way and enough time).

And at the end 3 days in Sydney.

Option 2:

05.11. flight from Adelaide to Whitsunday and not see Uluru.

08.11. flight to Brisbane and 09.11 take tour to Fraiser island.

10.11 to 14.11 by camper to Sydney and stay there for 3 days.

So, in option 2, Fraiser island instead of Uluru. Maybe this option is better

since I'm not sure if there is flight from Ayers Rock to Whitsunday.

Any other suggestion or this plan is near perfect :) ?

3. Re: Honey moon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 22:42