We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family trip to Australia in 2 weeks

bangalore
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Family trip to Australia in 2 weeks

Hi. We r a family of 5, looking for a action filled holiday. Children are in 20s and would like to do this trip without tour operators. We will not drive , we would like to use local transportation wherever possible and cover long distances by flight. and also hire cabs.Adventurous sports activities, desert camping , good food etc. We have 2 weeks. I would really appreciate if you can guide me here with what places to visit. I am looking at Sydney, Brisbane, GBR, Cairns, Port D, Daint. F , Perth Melbourne Aiyar Rock and Great ocean road. I know I am being very greedy here but please tell me what are the must see places here in the given time. Thanks a ton in advance. we are planning to planning from 21st May to 8th June.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family trip to Australia in 2 weeks

2 weeks = usually 3 destinations.

fly into sydney5 then uluru3 then cairns5 including travel time

melbourne, brisbane and especially perth will have to wait for another time.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,144 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family trip to Australia in 2 weeks

I also would not recommend more than 3 destinations for a 2-week visit to Australia. Lien has suggested the iconic "City, Rock, Reef" combination which is what I would also suggest. It gives you a taste of some of the best of Australia.

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,719 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family trip to Australia in 2 weeks

May and June are ideal times to visit northern Australia. It is the dry season and not so humid. Time does not allow you to visit all the destinations you have listed. Remembering even when travelling by air, you will basically lose 4 - 5 hours just waiting and travelling to various airports.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,492 posts
1,583 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family trip to Australia in 2 weeks

As mentioned by Navy June & May is an ideal time for Nth Qld & NT.

14 day itinerary suggestion - (tight)

SYD - 3 days - AYERS ROCK - 2 days - CAIRNS - 5 days - MELBOURNE - 4 days including a little overnight of the Great Ocean Road - fly home.

otherwise - just do 3 destinations - SYD / AYERS ROCK / CAIRNS.

Must see - Sydney / Uluru / Great Barrier Reef

For additional info on Uluru read the link below.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i17672-Uluru_Ng…

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
449 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family trip to Australia in 2 weeks

Ahhhhh skip Sydney and see Melbourne!!

bangalore
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family trip to Australia in 2 weeks

Thank you so much. I think everybody is agreeing with you here.

Brisbane, Australia
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Family trip to Australia in 2 weeks

Hello

I am in my 20's myself and currently living in Brisbane. Would probably suggest travelling to Northern QLD because they have great diving and adventurer activities there. Also if you travel to Brisbane or near Brisbane there are good tours which you can do for day trips or a couple of days to Fraser and Stradbroke Island. If you are looking to go swimming Northern Qld would be good because the water will still be quite warm. (depending where you come from haha). I would also suggest going to Melbourne if you are interested in arts and culture, also suggest go to Sydney and checking out the jamie oliver Italian restaurant or heading into surry hills.

bangalore
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family trip to Australia in 2 weeks

Thank you all. I think i got an idea now. If I have any doubts I shall come back.

9. Re: Family trip to Australia in 2 weeks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 01:16