We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stop over or continue straight through on flight?

Blackpool,England
Level Contributor
200 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Stop over or continue straight through on flight?

Hi

Unsure if it is a killer flying through to Oz or is it recommended to do a stop over say in Singapore for a night?

Flying from UK-Manchester

Were Mid 30's couple,I not very good at sleeping on a flight due to aircraft noise

any suggestion or experiances would be greatful x x

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,117 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stop over or continue straight through on flight?

Personally I would be inclined to just punch through. When you're going long haul you need to maximise the time at the other end. Then allow the time on arrival for recovery.

Have you tried noise cancelling headphones? We invested in Sennheiser PXC450 and they are pretty amazing at deadening the noise. Add some very soft music and you're not on a plane anymore... noisewise that is.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stop over or continue straight through on flight?

one night in singapore wont do much for you sllep or jet lag wise.

'better to keep going.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stop over or continue straight through on flight?

I always go for the stopover. I can't sleep on flights and have a not so great back and going straight through becomes exquisite pain and agony. If I need to get to my destination in a hurry then it's just a short one nighter - shower, jump into a real bed to sleep then continue the journey. If I have the time I'll stay for a few days and make it part of the trip.

If traveling business class in a flat bed seat - well that's a different story.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,311 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stop over or continue straight through on flight?

I also prefer to stop over - cant stand staying in economy for over 20 hours (and I can't afford business class!)...

A real bed and the opportunity to properly stretch my legs and walk is worth it to me.

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
13,534 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stop over or continue straight through on flight?

I agree with the others it is better to go straight through, especially if you are limited in time.

But when I was younger straight through was for me. Like Eva a stopover in Singapore is for me, usually 2 nights. It just breaks the freaking boredom. And like you and beedzu I can't sleep no matter how tired I am, and I just can’t sit still for that long with only a 2 hour stop in the middle.

But on our next OS trip which is next year, we are looking at Business class or premium economy at worst. Since the cost is much more we will fly straight through, We're going to give this a go and see which way we prefer.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,081 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stop over or continue straight through on flight?

I have made the flight to Australia from the U.S. East Coast several times. This flight takes over 24 hours, so it's equivalent to what you will experience from Manchester.

I once made the mistake of doing an overnight stay in Los Angeles before continuing on to Sydney. I thought it would give us a chance to rest up for the rest of the long trip. Instead, it was a big hassle having to get to/from the airport hotel; to deal with handling all the luggage for an extra day; to deal with going through airport security an extra time; etc.

I strongly recommend that you just "bite the bullet" and fly straight from Manchester to Sydney. It helps to remind yourself that you'll be having an extra day in Sydney which is a whole lot better than Los Angeles or even Singapore (which I like a lot).

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stop over or continue straight through on flight?

I can see the validity of arguments both for and against a stopover, but to compare getting in and out of LAX with Changi as an argument is a bit of a stretch!

Changi has to be one of the easiest airports in the world to get in and out of, while LAX would be one of the worst.

From touchdown to bed in SIN can be done in an hour. In that time I'd still be standing in the immigration queue at LAX.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,742 posts
1,695 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stop over or continue straight through on flight?

I'm a stopover person too...I love them... as mentioned Changi is a very efficient airport & your out through customs in Min's. There's nothing better than stretching those legs & I also love being able to go for a swim in the hotel pools the next morning as it really cures any jet lag.

I once did 30hrs straight & it was a total nightmare... & have never done it again. Its fun stopping off you get to experience another destination / taste their food & do a little shopping before your next flight to Australia.

Flights normally leave late 7pm - 8.30pm on Qantas or BA from Singapore to Sydney so you can get a night/ day in for exploring the city.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,542 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stop over or continue straight through on flight?

I actually did do a Los Angeles stop over on a NY to Sydney flight and really enjoyed it. I spent the whole day at Santa Monica. I don't deny that getting in and out of LAX is a hassle, but I found that it was exactly what I needed.

I have done stop overs in Asia on the way to or from Europe. How necessary you think it is does depend on how well you can sleep on the flight. I have done the trip both with and without stopovers, and personally I prefer to have the stopover, but I admit that is partly because I usually want to visit the stopover city.

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Asia
Asia
World
Brisbane Australia
Level Contributor
56 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stop over or continue straight through on flight?

Having you considered staying in a transit hotel in Changi Airport?

We did this on our last trip to Europe and it is highly recommended. We had nine hours between flights and spent six hours at the hotel at a cost of about A$60. It was time enough for a proper meal and a shower and we managed to get about five hours sleep.

When we arrived at out destination we felt fine (no jet lag) so we were able to maximise our time at our destination and not waste time catching up on sleep.

Details of the hotel are on the Changi Airport website and you can book on-line.