We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report pt 3 Flinders Ranges

australia
Level Contributor
446 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report pt 3 Flinders Ranges

Flinders Ranges pt 3

Argadells

So now we are off to Argadells sheep station 30 mins out of Quorn. Thanks to DE nozzie for telling me about this place.

We left Arcaroola and headed back via Copley. We felt it was our duty to do one more quality control on the quandong pies at the bakery! You'll be pleased to know they were just as good the second time round. :)

Then down to Parachilna and on to Quorn. The road is fully sealed and a good road...we are towing a 20ft caravan and I am just getting used to towing it. (just in case of emergency). This seems to be emu country as we saw scores of them and vey few kangaroos.

Quorn is a pretty little town, with quite an historical background. I was particularly pleased to find an Internet cafe, Flinders Bikes and Bytes, to catch up on phone messages and emails. (I dont think I've mentioned that intent and mobile reception is almost non-existent). The young woman there was so helpful as I had had trouble downloading the third part of Steve Jobs biography and she managed to sort it out. We have been listening to audio books during the longer stretches of the trip. This is a great way to fill the distances, particularly if there are more than 2 of you, and it can open up some interesting discussions.

Anyway, Argadells is a gorgeous property with a small caravan area and several cabins. I believe it is very popular with walkers and campers. There are many campsites scattered over the 60 square miles each with toilet facilities. The caravan and cabin area is small but very well maintained. There are ensuite sites available with plenty of hot water! The cabins are extremely well provided for and our friends were very happy. There is a big campfire site with two sides enclosed to keep out any wind, and plenty of firewood provided. We arrived around sunset and joined a group of walkers around the fire and it was great to have their local knowledge to draw upon. They were doing the final part of the 'Heyson trail', and I am in awe of them! Several wines later we all combined our meals and had a lovely dinner in the camp kitchen. What a lovely start to the final leg of our adventure.

Next day was the only full day we had here at Argadells and so we wanted to see it all! Judy, the owner, set us off on the various tracks with lots of advice. This is the southern part of the Flinders Ranges and a lot more arid than the other places we have been this trip. Judy and Malcolm keep the tracks well graded and I think we covered every track, and also some short walks along some of the creek beds. We saw several more yellow footed rock wallabies and lots of small birds darting into the low bushes.

The highlight was the drive up to Mt Argent. It was very steep and though graded it was still pretty rocky with lots of loose stone. My hero put the car into all sorts of 4wd gears and managed beautifully, I was really vey anxious...brave is not my middle name! But the view from the top was, again, breathtaking. It is more pasture and grazing, rather than wilderness, so quIte different from Wilpena and Arcaroola. Once more we saw an eagle flying in circles above us. He actually seemed to be enjoying the air currents. So amazing to see him up close. We made it back in time for sunset around the fire, which didn't disappoint. And so we are at the end of the trip here.

Now for home, Sydney, via Broken Hill and White Cliffs.

I hope I haven't gone too overboard with my reports, but I wanted to try and convey the three quite different regions we have seen. I am grateful for the advice I received from different DE's. I'm sure there are many, equally wonderful places, and I would encourage anyone to make the trip.

PS. Thank you to all who have left appreciative comments. I am glad that I have either reminded or inspired some of you. :)

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,716 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report pt 3 Flinders Ranges

Definitely inspired :-) Thanks for your great reports.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,097 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report pt 3 Flinders Ranges

Argadells sounds great! It really sounds like a terrific holiday and your reports have been terrific. Not too long at all.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,492 posts
1,583 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report pt 3 Flinders Ranges

Wonderful TR again OzzieW... I really enjoyed reading them all.

Thanks for sharing & I look forward to reading about BH !

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,903 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report pt 3 Flinders Ranges

Yes I think of all the dozens of locations I have stayed and camped in the Flinders Ranges Argadells is my favourite too! Just magnificent - and Judy and Malcolm are such great hosts.

BTW Agree with you about Arkaroola too. Not sure why it is like that - but I have visited several times since my first time in 1971 ( honeymoon) and the ambience of the place has never changed- though the scenery is always breathtaking and does make the long trip worthwhile.! Love Sillers Lookout and still remember my in laws raving about it from back in the mid 60's.

5. Re: Trip report pt 3 Flinders Ranges

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 08:16