We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to stop for the night on Great Ocean Road?

Boston
Level Contributor
43 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to stop for the night on Great Ocean Road?

I have 2 days to drive the Great Ocean Road starting and ending in Melbourne. What would you recommend I see along the way, how far should I go and where would you recommend sleeping? Thanks!

Best Seller
Blue Mountains Day Trip and River...
754 reviews
from US$167.50*
Best Seller
Great Ocean Road Small-Group Eco-Tour...
1,349 reviews
from US$105.20*
Best Seller
Sydney BridgeClimb
1,096 reviews
from US$131.90*
Best Seller
All Inclusive Blue Mountains...
243 reviews
from US$161.90*
Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,681 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to stop for the night on Great Ocean Road?

We really stretched our drive out to three days and stayed at both Apollo Bay and Port Campbell...had a lovely time.

We just dropped into visitor centres along the way.

visitvictoria.com/Regions/…Port-Campbell.aspx

and

visitvictoria.com/Regions/…apollo-bay.aspx

Boston
Level Contributor
43 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to stop for the night on Great Ocean Road?

So ours can't be more than 2 days. So I'm trying to figure out where to book a hotel?

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to stop for the night on Great Ocean Road?

There are more accommodation & eating options in Apollo Bay, that would be my preference.

Edited: 08 July 2012, 10:56
Boston
Level Contributor
43 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to stop for the night on Great Ocean Road?

Thank you!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to stop for the night on Great Ocean Road?

It depends on how far along the GOR you want to travel. Melbourne to Port Fairy (the furthest you would want to go) is about 6 hours driving without stops. Keep in mind you will want and need to stop a number of times along the way, which will make it a really big day of driving. If you do this trip I would stop overnight in Warrnambool or Port Fairy - both places have a number of accom choices. Port Fairy is only a short drive on from Warrnambool. You will not want to be driving the GOR in the dark, so check sunrise/sunset times for when you are here.

Realistically, travelling only as far as Port Campbell would be more practical in the time you have (4 hour drive without stops), and will be a more relaxed and leisurely trip. There are a number of accommodation options in Port Campbell. Stop at Apollo Bay or Lorne along the way for morning tea/lunch/afternoon tea. Both have good dining options and are nice towns.

Port Campbell is about 1.5 hours further on from Apollo Bay.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,621 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to stop for the night on Great Ocean Road?

Port Fairy is my favourite overnight stop.

http://www.portfairy.com.au/

Depends somewhat when you're coming - obviously longer days in Summer will extend your driving/viewing time.

australia
Level Contributor
447 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to stop for the night on Great Ocean Road?

Port Fairy is really quaint and would be my choice. But Apollo Bay is pretty spectacular as you are right on the ocean. Depends how much driving you want to do. I have stayed in both.

8. Re: Best place to stop for the night on Great Ocean Road?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2013, 06:15