We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it just us or do others find .............?

Rotorua, New Zealand
Level Contributor
270 posts
720 reviews
Save Topic
Is it just us or do others find .............?

We have just returned from 14 days travelling from Sydney to as far as Noosa and then flew out of Brisbane. We were travelling in a motorhome, so stayed at many different holiday parks. My husband and I were quite surprised by the lack of welcome at many of the holiday parks along the way. Some places such as the Gold Goast Holiday Park, Nobby Beach Holiday Village, The Clog Barn Caravan Park, Beach Front Holiday Resort were friendly and welcoming. But many of the others seemed very uninterested in their jobs and not very welcoming at. Very disappointing for people in the hospitality industry. We regularly camp in NZ and have always found the people in the hoilday parks cheerful/pleasant and helpful. Not that it marred our holiday at all, just an observation.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it just us or do others find .............?

Australia's poor customer service has been in the news quite a bit lately.

I'll probaby get abused for saying this, but we've lived here for four years now and no longer expect particularly good service. In fact, when we get it, we're quite taken aback and always comment on it. Sad, but true, at least from an American perspective.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it just us or do others find .............?

true.

but nz is (has always been) more tourist orientated than aus.

out of the big cities, with a few exceptions, tourist orienated businesses, particularly holiday parks, cater mainly for the local trade. this means service expectations are pretty low so no need to go the extra mile.

and agree with Melnq8 100%. good service is always a surprise here.

Edited: 15 July 2012, 03:06
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it just us or do others find .............?

Just back from the NT & found customer service to be great generally, although often restaurants were short staffed. A lot of these workers are from o/s (a lot of Irish in the Top End) & not highly paid I would imagine.

I usually find if you're cheery & thankful it helps with the service you receive & that goes for Sydney also IME :)

Edited: 15 July 2012, 03:37
pa
Level Contributor
824 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it just us or do others find .............?

I have to agree about the friendliness. We were there this past Sept. and had always heard how friendly Australians are! We definitely did not get that impression, in fact when we were in Cairns we were looking for a McDonalds as we were lost, a local actually lied and said they didn't have one that we found a few blocks later! Why would a person do that?

Rotorua, New Zealand
Level Contributor
270 posts
720 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it just us or do others find .............?

Well I'm pleased (I think) to hear that it isn't just us that have found this. We did find the further North we got the friendlier some staff were. Yes and totally agree, when we did get service with a smile it took us aback a bit! So used of customer orientated people in NZ I guess. 5 Cheers, when were in Cairns quite a few years ago, we found them to be very friendly, let's hope they aren't adopting many others areas poor service now also.

Rotorua, New Zealand
Level Contributor
270 posts
720 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it just us or do others find .............?

I was just thinking it is pretty sad that many people don't promote the lovely country they are in. Gives people a sour impression of what is a great place to visit, and many people are welcoming, just not the majority.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,950 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it just us or do others find .............?

Well i've found the same attitude in NZ..... and in many places including the most touristy of rotorua and Queenstoen (actually Huka Falls was about the worst customer service i've ever struck and don;t get me started about moeraki boulders...who almost took my head off because we walked in and asked directions)

but then i don;t make sweeping statements about the whole thing....

sometimes it's the individual...

FWIW motor homes don't go down well here any more....too many trying to avoid the rules and camp in our front yards for nix

(not saying this is you but is is a common perception along the coast)

Rotorua, New Zealand
Level Contributor
270 posts
720 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it just us or do others find .............?

Guruswife, I wasn't saying it was everyone, there certainly were some cheery people, just not a lot and it was noticeable. And sadly it sounds like you have found the same in NZ. It's a pity really, we both have lovely countries to explore. Yes and I agree with you with some people with motorhomes. We always used holiday parks etc, or approved places to stop and free camp. But did notice many people "camping" at places such as beachside carparks etc. Once again in NZ this is a no-no in many places.

9. Re: Is it just us or do others find .............?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2013, 19:16