We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stop over destination from Uk to Sydney

yorkshire
Level Contributor
19 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Stop over destination from Uk to Sydney

Flying from the UK to Sydney for a 3 week holiday March/ April next year.Can anyone suggest a good place to break the journey?I have thought of Bali but know that is quite a distance. Anyone know if Kuala Lumpa is worth a few days on route? Thanks for all advice. Ps, I have done US few times and Dubai but I'm not the happiest of flyers and tend to prefer shorter journeys if poss. Thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Stop over destination from Uk to Sydney

>> I have thought of Bali but know that is quite a distance. <<

You're travelling to the other side of the world. A short detour to Bali is hardly 'quite a distance'.

You've got all of Asia to choose from.

Why not tell us how long a stopover you plan on taking and what activities are you after? Beach, city, shopping etc.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stop over destination from Uk to Sydney

Don't think there's a direct flight from UK to Bali. We stayed in Singapore and Kuala Lumpur for several days. Kuala Lumpur won but that's just MHO.

On the other hand, we had much longer than you have and 3 weeks for Australia already will be very short. So I'd try to get to Australia as quickly as possible.

Tet

yorkshire
Level Contributor
19 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stop over destination from Uk to Sydney

Thanks for the replies! When I said Bali is quite a distance Mezz 3000, I meant from the Uk as one flight, but asTet14 says, there probs isn't a flight direct anyway. Guess we wanted the stopover to be about 3 nights and really wanted it to break up the journey but also be in a nice relaxing place. We are going to a wedding in Australia and can only be away from our businesses for 21 nights. We are ok with what to do when in Australia, it was just the stopover really.

Maybe I will,check out Singapore and Kuala. Thanks

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stop over destination from Uk to Sydney

It's a bit of a 'catch 22' - each airline has it's own specific stopover citiy or cities - if you choose an airline just for the ticket price you'll have to stopover where they say.. On the other hand, it you want a particular stopover destination you'll have to book with an airline that stops there, which may not be the cheapest flight or your prefered carrier.

That said, many airlines do stop at Singapore - you'd have a longish leg from London then a shorter leg to Australia. If you stopover in Singapore, Sentosa Island is a great place to stay - relaxing, has nice beaches, pleasant walks, good accom and restaurant choices, entertainment, etc. About 30 min by taxi from the airport (taxis are fairly cheap too). Easy, free transport options around the island. About 30 min to main Singapore island (think 1000's of shops) or there are other shopping areas/centres closer.

www.sentosa.com.sg

The Singapore zoo is worth a visit, particularly the night safari. www.zoo.com.sg

A visit to the famous historic Raffles Hotel (with obligatory Singapore Sling cocktail) is a must.

www.raffles.com/singapore

Australia
Level Contributor
445 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stop over destination from Uk to Sydney

I support morticiamelb suggestions. We have had stopovers in Singapore, hong kong and just recently Bangkok, and out of the 3 Singapore is somewhere I would like to go again. It is very clean and we felt very safe.we did all of the above suggestions and enjoyed every aspect of Singapore. I was pleased we stopped over in Hong Kong but would not go back there and Bangkok was good but oh so many people but On reflection would go back there. But for overall satisfaction Singapore is my pick. We had prearranged a pickup from Changi airport which saved the hassle of getting a taxi, but found it is easy to get around the city. As mentioned above about our stopover in Bangkok we did not stopover on our way back from Israel and our second last leg was probably the worst we have experienced. 9 hours in cramped conditions in cattle class on a qantas a330 is not something I want to experience again. So if when we travel anything over 8 hours we have decided to go premium economy, finances permitting. Definitely do a stopover as it took us a couple of days to recover from our last trip. Enjoy Australia as we have sooo much to offer and so much diversity.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stop over destination from Uk to Sydney

It also depends what you want from your stopover. If it's mainly just to break the flight and relax for a few days, with a little shopping/sightseeing, then Singapore / Sentosa Island fits the bill. And as Forbes said, it's very clean and extremely safe. It's also closer to Australia than Hong Kong is.

If you want a more 'intense', hustle and bustle,culturally diverse experience, then somewhere like Hong Kong or Bangkok is for you. I really enjoyed Hong Kong too - it's fun but it's quite hectic, noisy, all go, go, go.

At Changi airport (Singapore), we just walked out the doors at luggage collection hall and jumped straight into a taxi - no problems at all.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,038 posts
1,381 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stop over destination from Uk to Sydney

Hi,

it basically comes down to what airline you are flying with ?? The airline will dictate your stopover .. ie.. Qantas - Singapore / Malaysian Airlines - KL / Cathay Pacific - Hong Kong / Thai Airlines - Bangkok etc.etc.

I've stopped over at Singapore / Bangkok / KL / Hong Kong all fab stopovers... it also depends on what you want to do...

ie..Shopping - KL / Hong Kong.

beach - Singapore - Sentosa Island

Culture - Bangkok

The best airport is Singapore for getting out quickly & into your hotel...

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stop over destination from Uk to Sydney

Hi EM! I agree Changi is very convenient but KLIA is not bad either.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
19 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stop over destination from Uk to Sydney

Thank you so much to all of you...great advice with much food for thought. I think Singapore is sounding like the favourite as we do want to relax. We are hoping that we can do the longest flight either premium or business as there is such a difference in comfort levels and it just makes it so much more pleasurable. Thanks again! X

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
290 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stop over destination from Uk to Sydney

Singapore is great. You could use as a 2 or 3 day stop over. Other option is KL but I reckon Singapore is a winner.