We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to spend Christmas?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
239 posts
213 reviews
Save Topic
Where to spend Christmas?

I know that this is a very broad question and that everyone will have their own ideas but.... we live in Perth and would like to spend Christmas elsewhere in Australia - any suggestions?

. I have limited mobility so an active holiday is out of the question.

We enjoy swimming and snorkelling, also visiting museums and art galleries. We'd like to spend Christmas in some sort of luxury and good dining options would be a huge bonus. No objection to hiring a car and going on a road trip.

Please help!

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to spend Christmas?

Apart from the snorkeling, Sydney and Melbourne tick all the boxes.

I also love Hobart at that time of the year but the swimming can be a bit hit and miss.

You could fly to Melbourne, do a road trip to Sydney then fly back from there.

Edited: 20 August 2012, 06:05
Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
450 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to spend Christmas?

OK. Thoughts. Southern areas of Australia have the more conducive climate during Summer. Many people from the drier areas find the Northern climate hard to cope with especially in coastal areas with relative humidity as high 100%. This applies from Sydney north. Also cities are a good choice. Less commercial activity over Christmas period so less business traffic and hotels that are full during the rest of the year become more competitive.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
239 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to spend Christmas?

Thanks for the advice - a city is probably a better choice rather than trying for a good hotel, good dining options and swimming!

Gosford, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to spend Christmas?

I am 57 and have lived in Sydney and on the NSW central coast for most of my life. I agree with the person who has suggested Melbourne. the weather is lovely there in summer and you could find a nice little motel, even a heritage boutique place, on the coast there for half the price you would pay in Sydney or further north, where the humidity is stifling a lot of the time. Try Apollo Bay on the Great Ocean Road between Adelaide and Geelong. It is absolutely beautiful with ocean breezes, perfect in summer. Too hot up here. I went to Cairns for Christmas once and on to Port Douglas. The humidity was stifling, like Bali, where I also spent one Christmas. Cairns has its really ugly side that is rarely promoted. Aside from the humidity, try cane toads and salt water crocs! Vile. Do Victoria!!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to spend Christmas?

Not sure how long you are planning to spend away, but basing yourself in Melbourne at one of the luxury hotels, and hiring a car to do a few easy day trips might suit you. Somewhere like the Langham Hotel (5 star) on Southbank would be ideal - right on the Yarra river and walking distance to lots of nice restaurants, National Gallery, shopping, Melbourne's famous laneways and arcades, etc, and close to trams/trains if you want to venture a little further out. There is the Melbourne museum and also a number of smaller galleries, museums, etc in Melb, either walkable or just a short tram ride.

There are a number of snorkling options - you won't see much coral, but you will see a variety of sea creatures such as sea horses/dragons, octopus and many types of fish.

visitmorningtonpeninsula.org/ThingsToDo/.../…

visitvictoria.com/.../…Snorkeling...

www.bayplay.com.au/snorkelling

For a bay swim, catch a tram to St Kilda beach (about 20 minutes) - there are also some nice eateries close to the beach., and the Esplande art & craft market on Sundays.

stkildabeach.com

Or you can catch a ferry for a short trip down the Yarra and across the bay to Williamstown - it's a quaint historic town with a nice beach plus lots of good eateries, Scienceworks musuem, interesting shops and litle galleries.

www.williamstowninfo.com.au

If you are prepared to hire a car there are some excellent day or overnight trips (you can do these with a tour company but I would prefer to drive myself). The beautiful Mornington peninsula has some beautiful beaches (bay and ocean beaches), wineries, art & craft galleries, lovely scenery, lots of eateries, shops, hot springs, etc, and you can cross the bay by ferry from Sorento to Queenscliff if you want (might even see dolphins along the way) - easily done as a day trip, or an overnight if you want to explore in depth.

www.visitmorningtonpeninsula.org

The Great Ocean Road is an excellent day trip, but best done over 2 days with an overnight stop at Apollo Bay. Lots of beaches for swimming, good food along the way, galleries, etc and of course the great scenery.

visitvictoria.com/Regions/Great-Ocean-Road.a…

Get back to us if you want more info.

Gosford, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to spend Christmas?

Excellent post! Listen to this person! Great options here that I will include in my next southern break during January. I love Victoria! Thank you.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
137 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to spend Christmas?

How about a cruise on Sydney Harbour? You can have a lovely holiday in and around Sydney at Christmas time, and book a lunch or dinner cruise on the harbour on Christmas Day. Do some research about the type of cruise to suit your tastes. Bigger companies do a la carte, live music, dancing, etc, (and more stable boats) while the smaller operators offer more personal attention and maybe a buffet. Watch out for the dodgy ones, but you can easily find a great cruise to suit you. Pay extra for a window seat, and book early.

Apart from the cruise, there are any number of great day trips around Sydney, especially with a car. Drive up the Northern Beaches and have lunch at Palm Beach or Avalon. Escape the heat with a day in the Blue Mts. And of course Sydney itself is easy to get around and there is so much to see.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
239 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to spend Christmas?

Thanks so much for your help - looks like we will be tossing a coin for Melbourne and Sydney.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,829 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to spend Christmas?

My vote would be Hobart.

It's got the museums, the gorgeous waters, lovely places for day trips like Bruny Is and Port Arther and so much more.

And the far nicer temperatures !

Gosford, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to spend Christmas?

Nice suggestion, too. There is also the yacht race from Sydney on Boxing Day. It would be fun to be in Tassie and watching all the yachts come in,