We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Australia, New Zealand and Fiji in February

Drums, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
771 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Australia, New Zealand and Fiji in February

First time on this forum.

We are doing a 3 week tour of Australia, New Zealand and Fiji from late Feb into march of 2013.

Just trying to get a feel for the general weather and what type of clothes we will need. We are not doing anything dressy, so looking at casual options only.

Will shorts and golf shirts do, or do I need long pants and button down shirts for restaurants?

Just beginning to ask questions, so anythng you can help with is greatly appreciated.

We are Kauai, Hawaii frequent travelers, so if anyone has any questions redarding there, I would be glad to help.

Thanks

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,453 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Australia, New Zealand and Fiji in February

In Australia and NZ you will look quite out of place in shorts in restaurants in the evening- except perhaps in North Queensland.

In any case if you are going to southern Australia and the South Island of NZ yo could well be too cool in shorts in the evenings also.

Oz
Level Contributor
11,691 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Australia, New Zealand and Fiji in February

Hi,

What parts of Australia are you visiting? Even in Summer there is a marked difference between the tropics and the far south? The same applies to NZ with weather conditions exacerbated by altitude in the alps. You certinly need to be prepared for hot temps but bring some layers as well to cope, if/when the weather turns colder or wet. I would suggest a light weight water proof outer jacet and light fleece as well as your summer gear. You wouldn't be out of place in shorts and a polo shirt in the restaurants of the beach resort areas but would need some more formal attire for city dining.

With your time frame you will only "scratch the surface" of both countries tour wise. IMHO you should consider dropping Oz or NZ on this trip and spend the bulk of you time in one or the other.

Cheers,

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,458 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Australia, New Zealand and Fiji in February

"long pants and button down shirts for restaurants" - should be fine for dining in restaurants or clubs etc

Re the amount of time here - what did you want to see on your trip to Australia and /. or NZ ? As others have noted, with limited time it may be best to stick to one country, depending on how many days you were planning to spend in Fiji.

Which airline are you flying with ? Will you fly from FIji to NZ and then Australia hence your proposed itinerary ?

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,148 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Australia, New Zealand and Fiji in February

Late February/early March is a great time to visit southern Australia - anywhere below southern Queensland. No cyclones, and generally warm to hot weather, But as others have said, Australia is a massive continent, so expect different weather patterns between, say Sydney and Tasmania, for example.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
716 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Australia, New Zealand and Fiji in February

Hi, there can still be some very hot days in Adelaide in late February/early March.

I wear nothing but shorts and t-shirts in summer, even when dining at restaurants in the evening, and never feel out of place - but that's in the suburbs and at casual restaurants like Fasta Pasta, Cafe Primo and Vetnamese, Chinese and Inidian restaurants.

There are plenty of casual restaurant options in Adelaide.

Suzanne :)

Drums, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
771 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Australia, New Zealand and Fiji in February

Thanks to all for your assistance:

OARCFLYER AND DougoOz regarding your questions:

We are traveling on a "canned tour" with Collette Vacations organized by my wife's Pennsylvania retired educators union, PSEAR's. There fore we are locked in to whereever they send us. Not my perfect idea of a trip, but this is probably the trip of our lifetime and would never get to see your wonderful lands any other way.

Basic Itinerary:

Fly from Newark NJ to Los Angelas then to Melbourne for 2 1/2 days, then to Alice Springs for 2 1/2 days, then Ayers Rock, then cairns, then Sydney for 2 1/2 days then Christchurch to Franz Josef to Queenstown to Mt Cook and back to Christchurch and then Fiji for 2 days before returning home.

There are 25 meals included and hotels are 4 star or better.

There are many included land tours and we have selected a few optional tours as well to give us a feel for all areas. IE: doing an Outer Reef tour of the Great barrier reef and a trip to see the Little penguins on Phillip Island are 2 optional tours I know we booked.

I know we are flying Quantas from La to Oz, not sure regarding Newark to La.

If anyone is further interested, you can go to Collette vacations website and search for the "FROM THE OUTBACK TO THE GLACIERS" tour which we are on.

Once again, thanks to all and can't wait to visit your countries.

Edited: 13 September 2012, 19:35
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,453 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Australia, New Zealand and Fiji in February

Well back to your original question IMO (and I also asked my husband) you will not feel comfortable wearing shorts in a 4* hotel restaurant in Aus or NZ. However nor will you need a jacket and tie.

Fiji would probably be OK though.

Edited: 14 September 2012, 00:26
Drums, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
771 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Australia, New Zealand and Fiji in February

Thanks nozzie, I will plan on taking appropriate attire

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,458 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Australia, New Zealand and Fiji in February

Thanks for the info ... just had a quick look and I think you'll love it but will be totally exhausted if not by the time you get home, then before you get home !!

Oz
Level Contributor
11,691 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Australia, New Zealand and Fiji in February

Wow richinpa,

Your schedule makes me tired just reading it. You will certainly pickup/visit a large number of "Icons" in a short time!!!!

I hope you enjoy the trip.

Cheers,