We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Australia alone - Stay in Brisbane or Hamilton? Help!!

Hartford
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Australia alone - Stay in Brisbane or Hamilton? Help!!

Hi,

I will be in Australia alone in september 2012, I am a 49 year old female and know nothing about Australia - shoudl I stay in Brisbane or Hamilton?? And why do you make the recomendation that you do?

I just need clean economical accommdation, and obviously if I can do day tours and walk to shops . restaurants etc that would reduce my taxi costs.

What day tours do you recommend?

What can I not miss seeing or experiencing while there??

All help / suggestions appreciated!

Urgent - depart for Australia on sept 18th 2012!!

1770 Shuttle & Tours
Taxis & Shuttles, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Electric Bike Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bike Tours
Oceanview Helicopters
Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Helicopter Tours, Photography Tours
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Australia alone - Stay in Brisbane or Hamilton? Help!!

How long are you staying?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,126 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Australia alone - Stay in Brisbane or Hamilton? Help!!

I assume you mean Hamilton Island? It is quite expensive to stay on and there is no budget accom. I would consider airlie beach if you are wanting a coastal location ( no beach).

You will hit here smack bang on school holidays so Hamilton island will be kiddie central.

Brisbane is a big city so if looking ot accidentally hook up with other people this wouldn't be the place i chose. However, if you are fine DIY then yes, but I would actually consider either the Gold Coast or sunshine Coast as alternatives.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Australia alone - Stay in Brisbane or Hamilton? Help!!

Either would be safe for a single female traveller.

Hamilton Island is lovely and you can walk to most places, although it is quite hilly. Some accom comes with free 'buggy' but at others you would have to hire a buggy (about $85 a day). A buggy is not essential but they are lots of fun and make short work of the hills. From Hamilton there are various cruises such as to the reef for snorkling, to Whitehaven beach, or just around the lovely Whitsunday Islands. It's possibly still whale season and there are cruises out to see the whales. There are plenty of water sports, hikes and of course the beach and pools. You can take a trip over to the mainland (Airlie Beach) for the day and possibly do a tour of the hinterland from there. There are plenty of good restaurants on Hamilton Island but only a few shops, galleries, etc. You are likely to pick up some good last minute deals on accommodation. Check out the HI websites, or www.wotif.com.au

Brisbane is a lovely clean city with plenty of shops, restaurants, etc. There are a lot of day trips/tour options from Brisbane - eg whale watching, Tamborine Mountain, Fraser Island (long day), Noosa, Gold Coast.

Brisbane Festival is on at the moment (till end of Sept) with a programme of dance, theatre, opera, classical music, visual arts, circus, sideshow and contemporary music. Some events are free.

www.hamiltonisland.com.au

www.whitsundayholidays.com.au

www.brisbane.com.au

www.visitbrisbane.com.au

Where you decide to stay will depend on what your interests are and what sorts of things you like to do.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Australia alone - Stay in Brisbane or Hamilton? Help!!

or do u mean the brisbane suburb, hamilton?

if so i would stay in the city.

u would need to commute from hamilton to town via ferry, taxi or bus and altho it's not far it is a daily expense.

it's a nice part of brisbane (restaurants, shops etc) but more for living in than being a tourist.

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,281 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Australia alone - Stay in Brisbane or Hamilton? Help!!

I am assuming you mean Hamilton the suburb,and am inclined to say its workable choice, but 3 questions first. Close to the river its really quite nice though you need to count on good weather to enjoy the location. Eating around Hamilton is no problem.

1, have you already accommodation in mind. Exact location might be a deciding factor

2, your night time intetests

3, the length of your stay.

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
13,534 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Australia alone - Stay in Brisbane or Hamilton? Help!!

If it were me and you do mean the suburb of Brisbane I would stay in the Brisbane CBD, Hamiltons a nice suburb but IMO it's out the hub. It is reasonably close to the airport, but you will need either a bus ride, taxi or city cat ride to get to the CBD.

Have a look at the link below for tours departing the Brisbane CBD, and the Wotif link for accommodations choices. Whatever hotel you choose they should be able to point you in the right direction for the best tour and tour company and best prices.

http://www.viator.com/Brisbane/d363-ttd

wotif.com/hotels/australia-brisbane-hotels.h…

For cheaper accommodation you may want to look at the Brisbane suburbs along the Brisbane train and bus routes.

http://www.railmaps.com.au/brisbane.htm

translink.com.au/travel-information/…maps

Hope this helps.

Safe travels - Robert

Edited: 13 September 2012, 23:18
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,126 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Australia alone - Stay in Brisbane or Hamilton? Help!!

Kicks self...

sorry, but i really wouldn;t have thought anyone would have chosen to stay at Hamilton unless it was cruise/airport related...

slinks away..

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Australia alone - Stay in Brisbane or Hamilton? Help!!

The suburb of Hamilton has some very nice parts and adjoins Ascot and the Racecourse Rd precinct which has some nice restaurants. The area also has a number of transit orientated hotels which would only be attractive for location to the airport. Better to stay in Brisbane or the immediate areas of Spring Hill, Fortitude Valley, Kangaroo Point, South Brisbane which could offer some attractive options.

9. Re: Australia alone - Stay in Brisbane or Hamilton? Help!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2013, 10:17