We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Australian getaway for Mum and teenage son

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
137 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Australian getaway for Mum and teenage son

I'm looking for suggestions for a good last-minute getaway for myself and my 17yo son. We want to go somewhere in the eastern half of Australia, flying or driving from Sydney for three to five days in early October.

We are both adventurous and love nature and history, but my son is much fitter than me, so cycling is out, but walking is OK. He loves rock-climbing, surfing and snowboarding, but not with his Mum!

We are not on a tight budget.

I'm thinking of Kangaroo, King or Lord Howe islands, but worry that they will be too boring for my son. We could head up to Noosa or Byron Bay, but we are looking for something a bit different from a beach holiday. Would there be enough to keep us busy around Hobart?

I'd love suggestions from anyone who had done a successful trip of this kind.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,937 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Australian getaway for Mum and teenage son

why not get him to do some research... surely he can find somewhere he wants to go that he thinks his mum might enjoy as well.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,057 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Australian getaway for Mum and teenage son

Not wanting a beach holiday would effectively rule out Lord Howe Island. :o)

17.. is he on his L's? Go driving. Head out west. Lightning Ridge is awesome, Bourke is great too. It's wildflower season out at Ledknapper Reserve. Maybe go walking in the Warrumbungles. My kids have really enjoyed trips out west at similar ages. Get him out to big sky country :o)

... or head to Uluru or somewhere and take an indigenous tour. That would be a fantastic experience to share. :o)

Edited: 23 September 2012, 07:59
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5,824 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Australian getaway for Mum and teenage son

I'm with Snodge. If he's a city kid- get him out where the horizon meets the sky, there are gazillions of stars, old miners & graziers, opal mines, sheep stations, an interesting history ,characters galore and a town like no other. The Ridge has all that & more ... And good roads for a kid to drive on.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
137 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Australian getaway for Mum and teenage son

I am incorporating all your good ideas. Yes, we do need to get away from civilisation. We don't have enough time for a long drive, but LR and other outback towns will be great to visit one day. (Plus he already has a licence.) We are going to walk the six-foot track in the Blue Mountains, and my son is in charge of all research and preparation. Thanks for taking the time to give suggestions.

5. Re: Australian getaway for Mum and teenage son

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 December 2013, 10:17