We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help on route please!

UK
Level Contributor
1,732 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Help on route please!

Hi there

I am in the very early stages of planning a 3 week trip for Feb/March. We will be flying from the UK and want to visit Sydney/Melbourne/Cairns area.

We would like to book our flights asap and wonder is there a logical route to do this or does it not matter? Def want to drive the Great Ocean Road and wondered about driving Sydney to Melbourne or is it better in reverse?

Do you think we could manage these 3 areas in 3 weeks and would we be pushing our luck trying to do the Whitsunday Islands as well???

Decisions decisions.............. Many thanks for any input.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help on route please!

sydney to melbourne really doesn't matter which direction u travel.

coast road is a comfortable 3-4 day journey. longer is better however.

GOR 2 days min.

imo if u r doing cairns, the whitsundays are a bit same same. more to see in the former area anyway.

and feb/mar is right in the middle of the wet season and weather can disrupt travel plans.

so...arrive melbourne, do the GOR plus other, drive to sydney. then fly to cairns.

then depart for home either from brisbane or sydney. ie. get an open jaw international ticket.

u should be able to fit all that easily into 3 weeks.

Edited: 01 October 2012, 22:12
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help on route please!

Most logical and time effiecient for your intended itinerary would be to fly London to Melbourne, and home to London from Cairns. With only 3 weeks you would be better to fly between destinations here rather than drive.

You will easily do your 3 destinations of Melb, Sydney and Cairns. And if you really want to do the Whitsundays then IMO you could possibly squeeze that in as well. However, if you can add a few more days to your holiday (eg 23 or 24 days) you will definitely have time to do the 4 destinations easily.

Arrive Melbourne - 5 or 6 days including 2 days to drive the GOR.

Fly to Sydney - 5 or 6 days including 1 day to visit Blue Mountains.

If you have time, fly to Hamilton Island (Whitsundays) - 3 or 4 days including time for sailing to Whitehaven Beach, Hill Inlet, other Whitsunday Islands, etc.

Fly to Cairns - 4 or 5 days including 1 day to cruise & snorkle Great Barrier Reef, 1 or 2 days to visit the Daintree & Cape Tribulation and 1 day for Kuranda/Port Douglas.

UK
Level Contributor
1,732 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help on route please!

Thank you both so much for the advice. I was not sure if we could fly home from Cairns and didn't really want to double back to Sydney unless we really had to. Unable to add any days on..... plan to have stopovers on route and not got enough time off work!! I will keep reading all the old posts and I am sure I will have lots mor ??? once I get my flights booked. Many thanks again.

UK
Level Contributor
1,732 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help on route please!

Just re read the replies - is feb/march the wet season for Melbourne/Sydney and Cairns? Might need to change dates - we get enough rain in Scotland and I was hoping to escape from it.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help on route please!

the only way to fly home directly from cairns is via darwin and singapore,

only qantas do that.

just as easy to get a flight to brisbane or sydney and fly home from there.

feb/mar is not the wet season in melbourne or sydney if there is such a thing. the south is more 4 season orienated than the north.....but really if u want more of a chance of fine weather in the north (cairns) as well as the south then autumn/spring is probably a better way to go. but really u cant compare the endless misty cold drizzle in scotland with the tropical down pours in hot humid cairns. mainly short and sharp unless there is a cyclone around and then it's really a problem.

personally i would take the gamble.

Edited: 01 October 2012, 23:18
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
366 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help on route please!

Just re read the replies - is feb/march the wet season for Melbourne/Sydney and Cairns? Might need to change dates - we get enough rain in Scotland and I was hoping to escape from it.

It will be the Wet Season in Northern Australia, with a high possibility of very heavy rainfall, in Sydney & Melbourne it will be mid-summer with high temps (30-40C sometimes higher) and dry days.

7. Re: Help on route please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 07:17