We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August itinery 17 nights with kids

cheshire
Level Contributor
395 posts
169 reviews
Save Topic
August itinery 17 nights with kids

My flights are now booked, flying with VA via HK, with 17 nights in Austalia starting and ending in Sydney.

I think two nights in Sydney at the beginning and one night at the end, which leaves 14 nights.

I was thinking of trying to pack in Darwin, Kakdu, Uluru, Cairns/reef, an island stay (green island?). Is this too much? I think kids would like gold coast too.

We like national parks, wildlife, some culture, plenty of swimming/snorkelling, days out etc.

cheshire
Level Contributor
395 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: August itinery 17 nights with kids

I am planning on flying internally

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,003 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: August itinery 17 nights with kids

What time of year are you travelling TQ? This will impact on suggestions as the weather is so different at various times of the year. Assuming Spring/Autumn you could consider the following:

Fly Syd - Uluru (2-3 nights)

Uluru - Darwin (2-3 nights) Hire a car or join a Kakadu tour (see www.ntstandby.com.au) (1-2 nights)

Darwin - Cairns - Stay Cairns (2-3 nights) then maybe try Fitzroy Island (2-3 nights.) as a cheaper alternative to Green which I'm not even sure takes kids.

Fly Cairns - Syd

That pretty much takes up your whole 2 weeks so if you really wanted to include the Gold Coast you would have to cut one of the other destinations. I wouldn't as the GC is just another city and nothing uniquely "Australian" about it like your other stops. Really wouldn't spend less than 2 nights in any stop as you will find yourselves spending the whole time flying around the countryside and not actually "doing" anything.

Happy planning from here......... :)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,858 posts
1,348 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: August itinery 17 nights with kids

Hi,

What time of the year are you traveling to Australia ???

Sydney - 3 nights - Uluru - 2 days - Darwin - 4 days - Cairns - 5 days - Gold Coast - 3 days. otherwise, cut the Gold Coast & hook more days onto Sydney. There is plenty for the kids to see & do.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,706 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: August itinery 17 nights with kids

My advice if you want to do all these places in the two weeks, is to try and have more than 2 nights in each place as you will spend alot of time in transit . NOt sure how old your kids are ,but its pretty disruptive-which is what we have found with our kids who are under 10 but regular travelling.

Uluru- few accom options -self catering and hotel. Many tours to choose from. Consider doing an early morning walk around the rock. We did a great one which combined some aboriginal bush foods etc. We also dis a Kata Juta tour and a dinner under the stars. This was all possible in two nights.

I would then fly to Darwin -as the drive is 12 hours.

Darwin to Kakadu is about a three hour drive ++ You could easily self drive this part and stay at Cooinda in the accom there or at Jabiru. I would say 3or 4 nights , go home via Litchfiled NP and/or the Territory wildlife park and Berry Springs for a refreshing swim.

You could spend 1 or 2 nights in Darwin and do all the croc related things etc which are fun for the ,kids to see. They have a lagoon and wave pool also

Fly to Cairns as its the most logical airport with limited time. Head up Port Douglas OR pALM cOVE for three nights minimum or 4 night - reef trips and a Daintree forest day trip. You can swim in the enclosures at the beach. Hire a boat and go fishing up the mangroves...

If your kids like theme parks, you should spend 2 nights at the GC. The beaches are great - as its still winter there- water temp will be about 20 or so, but if you are coming from UK you may like this...! Remember only swim at patrolled beaches.

cheshire
Level Contributor
395 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: August itinery 17 nights with kids

Hi all, kids will both be 10, a boy and a girl (cousins) and we will be travelling in august.

Really want to see "real" Australia, so think Darwin, kakadu, Uluru and cairns will be th right mix?

m tempted to cut out NT to make the trip more relaxed but think it's unmissable?

Thanks for all help, what a friendly bunch....

cheshire
Level Contributor
395 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: August itinery 17 nights with kids

Also when is best time to book internal flights? There are some out now with quantas but they look expensive, are there any cheaper carriers that release flights nearer the time?

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: August itinery 17 nights with kids

your internal flight choices are qantas, jetstar (a qantas lcc), virgin australia and tiger.

use www.webjet.com.au to compare fares and subscribe to the companies' emails for specials. most of them will have sales over the next 10 months.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,003 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: August itinery 17 nights with kids

August will be the perfect time to travel in the Top End of Australia and quite cool in the southern parts so certainly stick to the north :) - it is the part you are most likely to get your unique "Aussie" experiences.

You will need to allow about $300pp for each domestic flight you are looking at so keep an eye out for specials. Try registering with a site like www.kayak.com or www.skytracker.com to get notified of any specials as they become available. If you were to cut anything from the itinerary, I would suggest the island stay. It's expensive and something you can cover in a day trip out of Cairns along with reef trips and a visit to the Daintree Rainforest. Cairns has so much to offer that I think it would be the perfect place to end your trip and also give you the opportunity to relax.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,003 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: August itinery 17 nights with kids

der - did none of us read the AUGUST in your heading???????? You must think we're all stupid! Sorry about that TQ. BTW - usually, the sooner you book your flights, the better price you will get but I'd be holding off until around Feb when the post Xmas holiday specials come out.

cheshire
Level Contributor
395 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: August itinery 17 nights with kids

Thanks again. Laughing out loud at your august comment, I think you're all a great bunch! I've posted in a lt of country forums but never had such a good response as in the aussie ones. My husband visited Australia 20 years ago and says the people are the most affable and relaxed anywhere in the world...

I think I will cut out the island stay and do as follows...

2 nights Sydney

2 nights Uluru

1 nights Darwin

2 nights Cooinda

1 night Jabiru

1 night Darwin

7 nights Cairns

1 night Sydney