We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking method

England
Level Contributor
185 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Booking method

When comparing travel agent v booking on line, some hotels are cheaper booking online. Was wondering if readers have any useful thoughts re booking online from abroad for rooms. Are there snags or is it as simple as it looks? Do this regularly back home in UK but have a fear of being other side of world, something goes wrong and there's no agent to help us out!

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
28,483 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking method

It's OK. The common wisdom is that if you ring a hotel, they will usually match their on-line price and save you the booking fee. However, that overlooks the fact that a phone call would be expensive for you. So yes, they're fine. You just need to use a big, reliable booking agency.

[List follows.]

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking method

always go to the source. not even an on line booking agency.

after a decade of on line accommo booking have never once had a problem.

and "agents helping u out" at 2 am their time?

Edited: 07 October 2012, 21:57
sydney
Level Contributor
138 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking method

I've used many of the online booking sites here on Trip Advisor and never had a problem. If you want to compare the price try the online booking site for that particular hotel - they sometimes have special offers but rarely as cheap as say booking.com or expedia

England
Level Contributor
185 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking method

Good point re agent Lien! By source I assume you mean the hotel itself?

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking method

yes, i meant the property u r wanting to book.

most have a best price guarantee and reasonable cancellation policies.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,741 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booking method

Just email the property direct.

Or call them. Most Australian accommodation of any size has free call numbers.

As others have said, they will usually give same and sometimes better rates than booking sites, but without the requirement for pre-payment and less restrictive cancellation policies.

Be prepared to give your credit card details as security for the booking. It will only be debited on the event of a "no show".

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,663 posts
1,612 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booking method

Hi,

I've used many booking websites & have never had a problem. In Australia I use www.wotif.com.au or I ring the hotel directly to check what deals are on offer.

Overseas, I use www.booking.com or www.expedia.com depending on what has the best deals... I also always check with the hotel via email & see if they can offer the same rate.

The bigger sites like Expedia do have more options available & sometimes you can pick up some fab deals if you sit & wait. I remember getting the suite at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in New York for a steal by just being patient through Expedia.

Edited: 09 October 2012, 08:54
8. Re: Booking method

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 21:17