We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three month itinerary

iceland
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Three month itinerary

G'Day Folks,

She who must be obeyed wants to visit Oz and it's my job to carry the bags.

I have hitchhiked around Oz twice about 30 years ago taking a couple of years to just scratch the surface...so I know three months isn't long enough.But it's all I've got :( and it means I have to sit down and plan instead of going with the flow.

So rough plan number 1.

Arrive Melbourne from Pommieland in March.Fly or ferry to Tassie (never got there last time) Fly to Sydney.Fly/Train Brisbane.Drive to Cairns.Fly to Alice.Fly to Darwin.Drive to Broome. Fly Perth.Fly UK end of May.Rest.

Thinking of hiring a camper van for Tassie and the drive up to Cairns. Maybe a 4WD camper for NT and Kimberly.What do you think so far...streuth or no worries.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,057 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Three month itinerary

Strewth.

Even in three months you've got a heck of a lot packed in there. Not bad as an ambition to start, but step it out with travel times and days in particular locations and see how you go.

iceland
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Three month itinerary

Good idea. She's told me I have to do a 90 day spreadsheet...whatever that is. Then I can move the dates, times and places without filling the room with bits of paper.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,047 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Three month itinerary

Strewth!!

I'm exhausted reading your itinerary. However, if you have stamina it's certainly doable.

Good idea to start in Tassie before the colder weather sets in. A camper is a great way to see the island. Many people fly into Launceston, pick up a van, drive around and finish in Hobart for the flight out.

I'd be more inclined to drive Sydney to Brisbane and fly Brisbane to Cains. For starters, it's half the distance. There's also lots of nice spots on the coast and some great National Parks to stop at on the Sydney- Brisbane trip.

A suggestion for the 'centre' could be fly to Darwin, take The Ghan to Alice, rent a car and drive to Uluru then fly out. Great Southern Rail do a special deal of Gold Class upgrade if you book accomodation in Darwin and Alice through them.

Before you plan on driving through the Kimberly region look at a map. The distances are vast!

Have you considered the South West of WA as an alternative? From Perth down to Albany and back. Lots of wonderful places to see and the added bonus of the Margaret River wine region.

Happy travels!

iceland
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Three month itinerary

Thanks.I'm open to all and any suggestions . I've many happy memories of adventures hitching around the Kimberly. My only worry is it has changed in 30 years.They do say you should never go back. But it is a unique place in Oz. As is lying under the stars in The Valley of the Winds.That view has to be the same.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,057 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Three month itinerary

The 90 day spreadsheet is an excellent idea. Exactly how I plan a long trip :o)

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,694 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Three month itinerary

I suggest driving Melbourne-Sydney rather than the further north legs, that way you could visit some areas that people on shorter visits usually don't get to see, the high country and the capital (autumn is a great time for it).

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,694 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Three month itinerary

It just occurred to me I should clarify, you CAN include parts of the coast as well driving that way, I wasn't suggesting an inland route but a meandering route offering diversity.

A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Margaret River
Level Contributor
2,821 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Three month itinerary

I might also suggest that once you've got a rough plan in place and approx. how many days you want to allocate to each region that you then break it down and post individual queries on the forum for each State or City etc for those particular questions. You may find that the locals in each area dont necessarily check the 'Australian' forum but only visit their own region forums.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
107 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Three month itinerary

Just a suggestion for an all round travel experience: By Land, Sea, Train & Air. Approximately 12 to 5 days exploring these destinations and surrounds.

Sea Ferry from Melbourne to Devonport, Tasmania (Spirit of Tasmania) and return if you’re not prone to seasickness. Hire a car/campervan as Tasmania is a most spectacular destination!

Drive from Melbourne to Sydney via Princess Highway - National Route 1; then onto Brisbane via the Pacific Highway, if your taste is for scenery and beaches. This is by far the best of our East Coast drives!?

Fly from Brisbane to Cairns then onto Alice Springs to start your Outback experience along the West MacDonnell Ranges onto Kings Canyon, via Mereenie Loop Road to Ayres Rock by 4WD hire.

Drive back or Fly from Ayres Rock (Uluru) to Alice Springs then to any Capital City; i.e. Darwin ‘or’ take ‘The Ghan’ train to Darwin. Alternatively; let’s not forget South Australia by flying to Adelaide and onto Kangaroo Island. Then fly Adelaide to Darwin.

Drive from Darwin to Broome where the stars will be the same as it ever was...

Fly from Broome to Perth

Perth to Home

Please note; our 2013 Easter and April school holidays commence from 29th March to 5th. May across Australia

Cheers Angie

Edited: 24 October 2012, 02:14
iceland
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Three month itinerary

G'Day Folks,

Thanks very much for the input. Lots of votes for driving parts of Melbourne/Sydney/Brisbane and all suggesting flying to Cairns.Couple of mentions of "The Ghan" one of the worlds great railways.Thanks for the tip about school holidays.The spread sheet is coming along.Day 1 Melbourne day 90 Perth...just need to fill in the rest...and maybe change day 1 or 90 :)