We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving in sydney and melbourne

Katra, India
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
driving in sydney and melbourne

first time in australia and we're going from sydney to melbourne. we're considering renting a toyota commuter for 12pax, but like to know if it is a feasible car to have or we should stick to driving two passenger cars.

thinking out loud about vehicle height, access to carparks, difficulty in driving in city traffic, low speed or car trouble.

what do you guys think? i've driven for ten yrs in a lot of other countries and own an suv and a nissan sunny btw.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving in sydney and melbourne

no need to have a car/van in either city. really too much trouble with traffic, parking etc. easier to get around by public transport. just pick up in sydney and return on arrival in melbourne.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
16,334 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving in sydney and melbourne

Totally no need IN the cities as Lien says. How long have you got for the trip, might better/easier/more convenient to fly? And what did you mean by "toyota commuter for 12pax", that size vehicle or that many passengers, cos how are 12 going to fit in 2 cars?

Katra, India
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: driving in sydney and melbourne

actually its just eight adults, but the largest mpv/suv would be a squeeze with the luggages. the rental company quoted me a toyota commuter, it looks like a mini bus and it is for 12pax so the extra space would be really good for luggages and leg room.

the trip is for 14days, although we would spend 2-5days in both cities, we like to be spending more time outside of the cities. we've not planned a real itinerary nor booked accomodation, but dont most hotels/resorts come with free carpark? what about tolls? do you have a lot of tolls? do bus and cars pay the same rate? and parking in malls or places of interest are same for both vehicle types?

i like the idea of having a car at our disposal, and really taking 5 elders on this trip with me, so the though of managing them in public transport scares me.

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,848 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving in sydney and melbourne

You will find that a Toyota Commuter van is classified as light commercial, therefore, tolls will be more expensive. Also, I doubt that a commuter van will fit into a normal parking space. If you are at a shopping center, you may be required to park where busses normally park.

A light commercial van is classified as "any cab chassis 1.5–4.5 tonne GVM, with two axles."

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driving in sydney and melbourne

"but dont most hotels/resorts come with free carpark?" no

"what about tolls? do you have a lot of tolls?" yes, quite a few.

i still think it's easier to rely on public transport (bus, train and ferry in sydney tram and train in melbourne) in the cities at each end of your visit instead of sitting in lines of traffic,struggling to find parking etc.

also look at doing tours to the more outlying city areas.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,812 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: driving in sydney and melbourne

"...we've not planned a real itinerary nor booked accomodation"

I hope you don't intend winging it between Dec & Feb...

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
16,334 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: driving in sydney and melbourne

>>i like the idea of having a car at our disposal, and really taking 5 elders on this trip with me, so the though of managing them in public transport scares me.<<

In the city, finding somewhere to park, especially if it's a small truck, paying for said parking, and walking to an attraction and back only to start looking for the next place to park would scare me more. You won't be able to park at the door. Perhaps post a list of what you want to see and people might have suggestions on the best way to go. Planning ahead and making sure you know what public transport is available to where is much less scary than the thought of a busload of tourists winging it in a self-drive bus around the streets of inner Sydney! Even my husband, a native Sydneysider, preferred to leave our car in the hotel carpark ($$$$!) for the duration of our stay. A couple of times we used the car to go further out. Once it was to the zoo and I said never again thanks, so boring and tiresome when the ferry is so much more fun. The other time he got lost trying to find his way out of the inner city, he always blamed the one way streets for sending him elsewhere to where we wanted to go. What's the story with the trip between the cities?

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,981 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: driving in sydney and melbourne

I regularly drive a 12 seater mini-bus on school excursions and sports trips. they are a pain to park (they don't fit in normal car spaces) and being tour driver for a bus load of rellies is not my idea of a holiday no matter what you drive at home or how long you have been driving. Getting one of these things into the parking for an inner-city hotel (and no it's usually not free) will require enormous talent and good luck.

Do as sugested by the others and either get 2 sedan cars (and bring less luggage so you can fit it in the boot) or use publc transport. We have plenty of oldies in both Sydney & Melbourne (and all points in between) who use public transport. If necessary you can always make use of a taxi rather than train or bus.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: driving in sydney and melbourne

When you add up the cost of renting such a large vehicle, paying for petrol, paying tolls and paying for parking, I'm sure that a combined use of public transport and taxis is more economical and much easier on the nerves.

I have a car and a disabled permit but when I take my elderly relative into the city we always take a cab - the walk from the parking station to our destination is too far, city traffic is horrible, there are lots of one way streets and the cost of parking is horrendous.

Katra, India
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: driving in sydney and melbourne

what does it cost to park in the city and what is the cost outside of city? also, how do i check toll fees?