We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most Economical RT Airfare from Australia to New Zealand

Lake Worth, FL
Level Contributor
8 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Most Economical RT Airfare from Australia to New Zealand

My wife and I will be visiting Australia and New Zealand starting in January 2013 and would like to hear any suggestions for most economical way to book outbound airfare between Sydney, AU and Auckland, NZ and returning to Melbourne, AU.

Mentioned in this post
New Zealand
New Zealand
South Pacific
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Auckland
Auckland
North Island, New Zealand
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Most Economical RT Airfare from Australia to New Zealand

i think be checking the airline web sites that fly those routes.

eg. air new zealand (virgin australia) and qantas.

some of the other international airlines can do a good one way fare from sydney to auckland eg. LAN and emirates but then u could be stuck with an expensive one way back to melbourne.

of course u could always look at incorporating those legs in your international ticket.

Edited: 20 December 2012, 23:52
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
32,392 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Most Economical RT Airfare from Australia to New Zealand

Check airfare comparisons www.airnewzealand.com www.virginaustralia.com.au www.jetstar.com

Melboune
Level Contributor
2,209 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Most Economical RT Airfare from Australia to New Zealand

Have a look at the Webjet site (http://www.webjet.com.au/), altho' once you've identified the fare that you're interested in, you can save fees by booking direct with the airline concerned.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
12,061 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Most Economical RT Airfare from Australia to New Zealand

You may be able to fly Air New Zealand to Sydney with a stopover in Auckland on the way. Sometimes speaking to a travel agent or airline rep can make these easier.

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Most Economical RT Airfare from Australia to New Zealand

Depending on your NZ itinerary, I'd suggest that the cheapest option would be an open jaw ticket SYD-AKL then CHC-MEL, finding your own way overland from Auckland to Christchurch.

I'm not sure what's lien'e experiences are, but we travel annually to NZ and have never yet found a return ticket which wasn't in fact two one way fares.

January is peak holidays season so I would be surprised if you found any really cheap fares. Besides, January is only a few weeks away so any available bargains would have been snapped up by now.

The best fares we have found are usually with Virgin/Air New Zealand (code share but try to get onto ANZ metal - it's better) or Jetstar (not my personal favorite airline but usually the cheapest)

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,281 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Most Economical RT Airfare from Australia to New Zealand

Jetstar is by far the cheapest (99%) of the time......I have flown as low as 129 one way in late Jan, never over 200 (for the past 6 summers) usually booked months ahead, but frequently see specials a month or two out......worth checking but it might be hard if you have specific dates in mind.

And agree there is no lower price for a return over 2 oneways, sometimes the opposite as the ex NZ fare AFTER currency conversion is sometimes cheaper than Aust-NZ leg

Edited: 21 December 2012, 07:48
sydney australia
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Most Economical RT Airfare from Australia to New Zealand

Emirates are very competitive on the SYD - AKL , MEL AKL and BNE AKL routes as well as the SYD CHC route.

SYD AKL LAN and Aerolinas Argentius are also cheap sometimes.

8. Re: Most Economical RT Airfare from Australia to New Zealand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 June 2013, 10:05
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Most Economical RT Airfare from Australia to New Zealand

Yet another piece of necro-posting in the cause of self promotion? In case

You hadn't noticed, January has been and gone, as has the OP.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,742 posts
1,695 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Most Economical RT Airfare from Australia to New Zealand

This is a very old post !! ... missed the previous post to see why it was zapped.