We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Barrier Reef best Beach

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
140 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Great Barrier Reef best Beach

Please help me to know which one is the best place to visit the Great Barrier Reef.

Is it CAIRNS or AIRLIE BEACH or FRASE ISLAND or LADY ELLIOT.

***By best I meant the most beautiful and most playful beach.***

Cheers!!!

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great Barrier Reef best Beach

There is no real beach to speak of in Cairns. It is a place from which you can access beaches, the hinterland, and the reef.

Fraser Island again, isn't really a destination famed only for it's surf beaches. It isn't advisable to swim there. Its lakes on the other hand...

Lady Elliot only has largely coral rocky beaches with some narrow sandy areas. You'd want to be into birdlife, snorkelling, turtles, etc to get the most out of Lady Elliot.

Airlie - again. Good to access the Whitsundays, but I wouldn't call the waterfront area a beautiful beach.

Both Airlie and Cairns are tourist hubs for visitors to the reef and islands. You'll find lots of activities to do there (if that is what you mean by playful).

Cairns is better than Airlie to visit the reef, and easier to access - really.

Edited: 02 January 2013, 04:42
South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great Barrier Reef best Beach

no beach at cairns.

basically tidal mud flats at airlie altho u might want to head out to whitehaven beach from there.

lady elliot is a beautiful place.

fraser island.....miles and miles of wide open beaches. the whole island is a paradise. inland clear fresh water lakes and rainforest

but i would be wary of beach swimming. sharks are very prevalent even in the shallows.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
29 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great Barrier Reef best Beach

Your comments about the area will be much appreciated. I hoped you enjoyed your trip to the Great Barrier Reef!

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
16,334 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great Barrier Reef best Beach

I just note that the original question (dated January) asked about the best beach at the reef, at least it went on to give the OP's definition of *best*, but it made me wonder whether the OP intended to visit the *reef*, it just sounded odd to come at the question of where to go to visit the reef by asking about the beach, and when I check to see to see what other questions the OP might have posted about his GBR holiday I see he has been quite the world traveller this year, with the word *best* featuring prominently.

5. Re: Great Barrier Reef best Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 November 2014, 05:17