We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 weeks in Australia in June -- Itinerary recommendations?

virginia
Level Contributor
68 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
4 weeks in Australia in June -- Itinerary recommendations?

We're going to Australia in June for 4 weeks with our 11yo son. Landing and leaving from Sydney. Definitely want to go to Kangaroo Island, but unsure of other destinations and amount of time to spend in each. Also wondering if we should hop over to New Zealand for a week or so. We're coming from the East Coast of the US, so it's a trek we likely won't do again any time soon!

Any suggestions or recommendations would be great. We like nature, animals, and people, more than museums, buildings, and historical sites. Budget isn't much of an issue.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,551 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 weeks in Australia in June -- Itinerary recommendations?

Four weeks is great! If you are willing to mostly skip the museums, etc, and you want nature I would definitely look at New Zealand as well, gorgeous country and completely different to Australia. Minimum one week but I'd say maybe for you two. The only thing is winter is not the ideal time. Australian winters are nothing like your severe northeastern winters but still... and New Zealand is more southern overall. I'd look at the tropical north of Australia, it's actually a good time to go there. Like going to Florida in winter I imagine? Anyway, IMO the classic Sydney-Rock-Reef would suit you and is doable in two weeks. Sydney and the nearby Blue Mountains has plenty to offer (Sydney won't be too cold but the Blue Mountains can be). Uluru has outback scenery and Aboriginal culture. Cairns/Port Douglas has the reef, tropical rainforest, beaches. For the other two weeks I suggest you ask on the New Zealand forum for ideas.

virginia
Level Contributor
68 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 weeks in Australia in June -- Itinerary recommendations?

Thanks, we actually tried to fly into Sydney and out of New Zealand but weren't able to do that, so we have to arrive and leave out of Sydney. I do know it's Australia's winter, but cooler weather is fine with us. We have it booked already, June 2 departing US (arriving Australia on my birthday, June 4th) -- and heading back on June 30th. I'll definitely research more of some of your recommendations! Thank you!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,465 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 weeks in Australia in June -- Itinerary recommendations?

First upl ... I think NZ is a great place to visit but you need more than a week there ... and in fact you need more than 2 weeks there. You could spend the entire 4 weeks in NZ and still not see it all unless you are in a hurry. Flying time between Sydney and Auckland is around 3 hours and Auckland time is about 2 hours ahead of Sydney time therefore a day lost in transit

If you do decide to go to NZ and hire a car, be aware that some of the roads in winter are icy. Also pick an area and concentrate on seeing that eg, Bay of Islands / Northlands /North Island for example.

Re Australia, if you wanted to spend 2 weeks here, you could to as others have suggested the Reef, Rock and city. However if you do that and Kangaroo Island is on the agenda too, you will have to give up a couple of days to fit it in comfortably, allowing for the fact that it will take about 3 1/2 hours flying time from Sydney to Ayres Rock airport and a similar time from there to Cairns and a similar time from Cairns to Sydney. Essentially every time you fly from one place to another on that route I have described, you lose most of the day in transit / checking into and out of accommodation.

If you had 3 weeks here, you could spend around 4 days in Sydney (including the Blue Mountains day trip or overnight), fly to Melbourne and have about 3-4 days there, pick up a hire car, drive the Great Ocean Road (1 day), Kangaroo Island (3 days) - check you can take your hire car across tho' - Adelaide (2 days - drop your hire car off here), fly to Ayres Rock (2 days) fly to Cairns (4 days) then back to Sydney.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,551 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 weeks in Australia in June -- Itinerary recommendations?

Sorry, I probably should have made that clear, and Dougo is absolutely right. I have spent four weeks touring both islands of New Zealand and I did not see everything. I guess my thinking was you could see enough to make the additional travel/hassle worthwhile in two weeks.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,465 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 weeks in Australia in June -- Itinerary recommendations?

Macknee I think you're right, you could see quite a bit in NZ in two weeks but IMO it would be better to concentrate on specific part or parts of one of the islands otherwise it may be like one of those 10 days tours of Europe

... "just coming up here on the right is Austria and if you're quick you catch a glimpse of Italy as we climb over the Alps in Switzerland ... " . You know what I mean ... rushing about and never really having time to relax and enjoy it.

I had a friend who did a 10 day coach trip around the UK ... she told me she really enjoyed York. Oh yes I said, how long did you spend there ... 4 hours she said ...

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,551 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 weeks in Australia in June -- Itinerary recommendations?

Yes, I've always felt that if limited to two weeks it's probably best to just do one island, but sigh, WHICH island...

(Edit: Maybe in June the North Island? Scott, do post on the separate New Zealand forum.)

Edited: 09 January 2013, 07:59
Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,056 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 weeks in Australia in June -- Itinerary recommendations?

4 weeks both countries including KI... hmm. that's got to be one of the hardest questions we've had for a while. 3 weeks is easier because the logistics more or less makes your decisions for you. I'll need to give this one some thought!

Leipzig, Germany
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 weeks in Australia in June -- Itinerary recommendations?

I would recommend to stay more than 2 days on KI if it's possible to you. Most KI tours are too short to get a good impression of this amazing island. I'm pretty happy that I could stay there for 4 weeks (but that's definitely long enough ;).

Have a look at the fantastic animals you can see on KI:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjlXr0IZDqk

Have a nice stay over there :)!

virginia
Level Contributor
68 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 weeks in Australia in June -- Itinerary recommendations?

Thanks all for the suggestions. We have some time to think about it for sure, but before we know it we'll be boarding! We land in Sydney at 6am on June 4th -- just happens to be my birthday. :)

10. Re: 4 weeks in Australia in June -- Itinerary recommendations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2014, 07:18