We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buy or rent a car for 10 weeks?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Buy or rent a car for 10 weeks?

I'm on a 10-week contract, and because I'm 23, it costs about $150 to rent a car every weekend, which works out to about $1,500. However, becuase I'm only here for 10 weeks, is the hassle of buying a car, then reselling, worth it? There are some cars going on Gumtree and there's a second hand car market on this weekend which I'll go to anyway because I have no plans this weekend, but just cautious of buying some $1,000 lemon. If I do buy, what are the things I should be looking for? Thanks.

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,257 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buy or rent a car for 10 weeks?

I wouldn't. A $1000 lemon is most likely just that. And will probably self destruct by the 3rd weekend. Most older cars will have much much higher fuel consumption than a small new rental. Travelling backpackers tend to spend upwards of 3000-4000 for something large enough for sleeping and several peoples gear. Disposing of at end and hoping to recoup some of the outlay isn't always simple as it sounds.

costs of transferring ownership into your name, a legal requirement add to expense. Car registered in other states to where you buy or sell it further complicate the issue.

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,257 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buy or rent a car for 10 weeks?

Talk to Bayswater Car Rentals.

They seem to me more young renter friendly. And any company renting every weekend for 10 weeks might be able to do a better price than usual - nothing lost by asking.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buy or rent a car for 10 weeks?

Thanks. I've now looked at some car rental companies, and the cheapest ones are those with geographical restrictions. Has anyone had any experience with them? How strict are they with their restrictions and how are they supposed to tell if you did go outside the allocated area?

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,768 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buy or rent a car for 10 weeks?

I guess if you have an accident outside the restricted area and it's reported (as it will have to be for insurance purposes) then they will know, won't they?

Eurpocar also do long term rental - they call it a mini lease. You'd need to contact them regarding any age limits they may have.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,173 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buy or rent a car for 10 weeks?

Have you thought of the shared car concept? It may be cheaper than rental.

http://www.goget.com.au/

6. Re: Buy or rent a car for 10 weeks?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 January 2013, 06:35
rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,446 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buy or rent a car for 10 weeks?

Well, perhaps he was, Vicki. Not everyone posts on LP, just as not everyone posts here. Why not cast your net wide?

8. Re: Buy or rent a car for 10 weeks?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2014, 07:17