We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some must see/do's

North Wales
Level Contributor
9 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Some must see/do's

Hi, I will be visiting Australia this October for 3weeks. Flying into Adelaide,motor home for 6days to Melbourne ,fly to Port Douglas for a week, then final week in Sydney. Any must see/do's??

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Some must see/do's

on your route, imo:

the flinders ranges, kangaroo island, the coorong, the grampians, great ocean road. but in 6 days u wont be able to do all of these.

in PD, the reef, the daintree

in sydney: just use public transport to enjoy the city and surrounds.

'things to do' on both on the rhs and lhs of the sydney forum page.

Edited: 17 January 2013, 22:18
North Wales
Level Contributor
9 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Some must see/do's

Thanks for the quick reply. Trying to squeeze as much as we can and keep my 2 boys (11 & 9) excited in this trip and find those "wow" places!

Oz
Level Contributor
12,832 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Some must see/do's

Hi,

What are your likes and dislikes? Seeing as you are opting for six days in a campervan you are on a different wavelength to me. I would rather have root canal therapy.

Cheers,

North Wales
Level Contributor
9 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Some must see/do's

We're pretty easy going, my kids really wanted to do the motor home thing, so it's a leap of faith really.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Some must see/do's

two kids as well!

LOL

i agree with oz

hope u have a prenup! ;-)

but am sure u will have a great time.

this is a great resource for the SA part of your trip

http://www.southaustralia.com/

and most of the towns have good Information centres, well signposted.

dont try to do the GOR in one day, two is much more relaxed. there is a lot to see and it's a park and walk scenario....not a drive thru. and the road is winding and narrow in places and the distance is not a good indication of how long the journey should take.

http://www.visitgreatoceanroad.org.au/

Edited: 17 January 2013, 22:36
Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,097 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Some must see/do's

I think at 11 and 9 half your battle is won if this format for the Adelaide - Melbourne was what they wanted to do. Key thing is to allow enough time and 6 days seems pretty reasonable.

It's a looong time since we did the GOR but aside from the natural landscape a highlight was our visit to Flagstaff Hill. There was no sound and light show in those days but the history element and the museum about the various shipwrecks really added to our appreciation of our exploration of the shipwreck coast. A couple of my kids were the age yours are now and the whole family really enjoyed our visit there. I notice it gets a good rating on TA too.

7. Re: Some must see/do's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2014, 05:15