We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking sealed packets of spices, curry powder into Australia

Wigan, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Taking sealed packets of spices, curry powder into Australia

Can you legally take sealed packets of curry powder and spices into Australia? Do you have to declare them?

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking sealed packets of spices, curry powder into Australia

Anything that goes into your mouth and is eaten must be declared - including spices and condiments. It's up to AQIS whether they let it in or not. You should check the guidelines on their website.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
29,253 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking sealed packets of spices, curry powder into Australia

This FAQ list from the Quarantine website is helpful: http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/faqs

Queensland
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking sealed packets of spices, curry powder into Australia

I have the same question. Although we are honest and do declare all food items I think the question relates to "are these goods actually allowed even after declaration?" None of the websites give actual answers regarding spices, just that they must be declared. I have heard that only "roasted" spices are allowed as opposed to "raw" however this is just hearsay and not official. Advice from anyone who has actually brought in and declared these goods would be appreciated. Saying that, most spices are readily available in Australia very cheaply anyway but when you get caught up in a spice market overseas it's hard to refuse the tempation to buy. Thanks.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking sealed packets of spices, curry powder into Australia

really it comes down to the decision of the person ur talking to at the border and their assessment of what r bringing in and their interpretation of the 'rules' or if u want to argue, his or her supervisor.

in the end it's not worth the hassle or if u think it is be willing to lose the goods.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
93,114 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking sealed packets of spices, curry powder into Australia

Why would you want to do this? Curry powder and all kinds of spices are readily available in Australia.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,298 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taking sealed packets of spices, curry powder into Australia

Well I bought beautifully pacakaged spices in Morocco as gifts. Thats why i brought them in. I declared them -and they looked at them and let me take them in.

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,692 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taking sealed packets of spices, curry powder into Australia

I have brought back packages of herbs from Italy. I declared them and they were allowed through. Saffron from Morocco was fine.

The thing that caused them the most worry was apple tea from Turkey. If it had had any apple pieces in it it would not have been allowed in. And don't try honey either.

Mentioned in this post
Morocco
Morocco
Africa
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
29,253 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taking sealed packets of spices, curry powder into Australia

Genuine saffron from crocus flowers is OK, but fake saffron from safflower stamens is not permitted. The AQIS folks can tell the difference.

Declare everything.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,338 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taking sealed packets of spices, curry powder into Australia

To provide a simple answer to your question. Yes you have to declare them on the arrivals card.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
16,216 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taking sealed packets of spices, curry powder into Australia

It's got nothing to do with the AQIS officers feeling on the day.

The reason they have to be unspecific on the website is because the definitions change daily.

At the pre work meeting each day they are provided updates regarding pest infestations around the world and what is and isn't a problem.

In the same way they are recalling Aus soft cheeses today due to listeria - officers are also updated on recalls in other countries. So what might have been allowed last week is not allowed today for specific reasons.

At the end of the day the most important thing is those people are protecting our agricultural well being - so let them get on with it !