We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Costly hotel website glitch, or not?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Costly hotel website glitch, or not?

I needed to make a booking for a hotel in The Rocks area of Sydney for 2 nights in early January 2014. Had to make it that far in advance to fit in with other flight bookings, etc. Went direct to the website and after keying in the dates I needed, along with the required 2 rooms for 2 nights for 4 adults, the "guaranteed rate" came back to me as $2/night per room. As anybody else would, I proceeded to accept the rate and go ahead with the booking, gave my credit card details along with my email address and to my surprise I have received a booking confirmation at the $2/night per room via email. So now I am wondering what do I do knowing that there has obviously been a computer glitch on the hotel's website. As this is not my fault I am thinking that the hotel is obliged to honour the booking as it stands, aren't they? What are my rights if we front up to the hotel in January 2014 and they say they will not honour the rates that they threw back at me at the time of booking? I welcome any input from people who can genuinely offer advice on my situation and subsequent rights in this matter.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,787 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Costly hotel website glitch, or not?

Well, you may have got amazingly lucky- who knows, there may be a special offer for the first booking or whatever, but I would not expect the hotel to honour the booking if it is a genuine mistake. Don't know what the consumer laws are in NSW but would think they are similar to WA where if a geniune mistake has been made the vendor may withdraw the offer and re-offer the product at the correct price.

Rather than get caught with no accommodation at the last minute I would check with the hotel concerned.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,200 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Costly hotel website glitch, or not?

I'd be ringing the hotel ASAP.

It is possible someone has duped their website and now they have your CC details. Not likely but possible.

Or just maybe you are there lucky 1 millionth customer ;-)

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Costly hotel website glitch, or not?

My disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer!

I know that if a product is advertised at a particular price and labelled as such then even if it is erroneous the retailer is obligated to sell it at the marked price.

However, a hotel booking is not really a product, but a service.

Just as you can cancel the booking, I would have thought that the hotel also has the right to cancel the booking as long as they offer a full refund - and if I were the hotel manager, at $2 a night, that's just what I would be doing.

They have a year to discover their error - I think it's likely they will.

Darwin
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Costly hotel website glitch, or not?

I know there was a couple just recently who booked via a website for I think it was around $10 for several weeks. The hotel honored the booking and of course the free advertising they got when it hit the news!! Did you book via a third party eg wotif or direct? Lou

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,385 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Costly hotel website glitch, or not?

The hotel might honour the booking but give you the worst room in the hotel. I'd ring them but be prepared for them to say it's wrong and you will have to pay the full current price.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Costly hotel website glitch, or not?

I booked directly with the hotel on their website.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Costly hotel website glitch, or not?

I also booked specific types of rooms ie. apartments with harbour views.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Costly hotel website glitch, or not?

Would be great to hear from anyone who has had a similar experience to mine and how they dealt with it, particularly if the hotel refused to honour their booking.

Brisbane
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,250 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Costly hotel website glitch, or not?

Evamelb & fungooley, The retailer has the legal option of removing the product from sale rather than honouring the price. Contact the hotel or you may find yoursrlf without accomodation.

Oscar

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,012 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Costly hotel website glitch, or not?

Which hotel? I'm planning a trip to Sydney myself. :))