We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One extra day - Tasmania or Perth?

Jersey City, NJ USA
Destination Expert
for Jersey City
Level Contributor
877 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
One extra day - Tasmania or Perth?

Apologies if this is the wrong subforum, but I will be visiting Australia for the first time next week for business (and hopefully for a little bit of sightseeing as well!). My travels will take me to, among other places, Tasmania and Perth. I have the opportunity to spend an extra weekend day (Saturday) either in Tasmania or Perth. Given this opportunity, which one would you choose and why?

Thanks for any feedback!

Broadford, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,901 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One extra day - Tasmania or Perth?

Tassie. Go to Hobart's Salamanca markets. Wander around the wharves and soak up some history. Try some local whisky. They need some help after the recent bushfires. Pick Tassie!

;)

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,829 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One extra day - Tasmania or Perth?

Even before I read the question I was thinking Tasmania because Perth is a city and Tasmania is a state and people often underestimate the time needed for Tasmania and treat it, at least in questions here they seem to treat it, the same as a city destination. Then I read your question and like Unclefey I thought Saturday? Oh well, yes, Tassie, go to Salamanca markets! And then I realised, you haven't actually specified Hobart....

Lethbridge, Canada
Level Contributor
68 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One extra day - Tasmania or Perth?

Another vote for Tasmania.

Jersey City, NJ USA
Destination Expert
for Jersey City
Level Contributor
877 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One extra day - Tasmania or Perth?

Thanks - yeah I won't be in Hobart, although if I stay the extra day I suppose I could rent a car and make the 2 hour trip there

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,500 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One extra day - Tasmania or Perth?

Best idea would be to head down the evening before if you wished to go to Salamanca markets. And then you'd have time to visit MONA too.

http://www.mona.net.au/

And if possible, fly out of Hobart to avoid the drive back.

Luigi

6. Re: One extra day - Tasmania or Perth?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2014, 05:17