We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any advice ?

Chobham , surrey
2 posts
Save Topic
Any advice ?

Im a first time travler and will be heading off to oz in september. Plan on going to bali first for a month and then onto oz. Not sure where to start in oz or how much of my trip i should plan. Want to see most of oz and plan on working to extend my stay. At the moment i plan on starting in cairns and working my south to sydney and then flying to perth and working my way up north. Any advice on what routes to take , what to see and how to get there would be most appreciated. Plan on going for 6 - 12 months.

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any advice ?

hi, i know that other posters will give you more detailed answers than mine, but, i would suggest flying all your routes, ie Cairns to Sydney, over to Perth and onwards, etc.

Try www.virginblue.com.au

www.qantas.com.au

www.jetstar.com.au (only if you dont mind queing up in 3 groups and chosing your own seat on the aircraft)

virgin blue has a lunchtime 12 to 1pm rush hour special each day, great discounts, just take a look.

Lets see what others posters come back with also, good luck!!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any advice ?

Hi mate,

Will you be working in any particular field?

If you have any hospitality experience, check out the islands in north Queensland for work.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,172 posts
1,428 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any advice ?

Hi Magic,

It also depends on your budget...are you backpacking, hostel type or do you prefer good quality accommadation ? both are excellent in Australia.

You could also start in Darwin, expecially since you are going to Bali first...its a short flight to Darwin from Bali.

September is the best time to travel Nth Qld as there are no stingers (boxjelly fish) around and the weather is beautiful at this time of the year...I also suggest you could get some work on one of the Whitsunday Islands.The main tourist areas in Australia which could have casual work available are:

Cairns - Sydney

Cairns

Port Douglas

Whitsunday Islands

Hervey Bay - Fraser Island

Noosa / Mooloolaba - sunshine Coast

Surfers Paradise - gold coast

Byron Bay

Port Macquarie

Port Stephens

Sydney

Melbourne

Perth

Broome

I would contact some of the islands to start with like Hamilton Island, also contact some of the hotels in these areas mentioned.

Chobham , surrey
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Any advice ?

Thanks everone for your advice.To answer a few quwstions , Im a bricklayer by trade but really dont care what i do for work. Is there much building work going on over there ? Think ill be staying in hostels as they will be cheaper and is a great place to meet other travellers. Think i will have a budget of £5000 for my trip ( Thats to spend already have money for my flights ) Thanks again for your advice and if anyone has any more on where to start in oz that would be great but by the sounds of things there is loads to see and hundreds of ways of doing it. Guess ill probably start in sydney and just see what happens as i have plenty of time. Where in oz is the best place to spend christmas ?

Thanks again

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
400 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any advice ?

Suggest you check with one of the backpackers around Innisfail, some 90km south of Cairns. Innisfail is screaming for tradesmen, after recent Cyclone Larry just about wiped town out. This is a backpacker center, usually for banana picking work, the crops have been destroyed by cyclone, but there's certainly work re-building the town.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any advice ?

Best place to spend christmas in Oz.

If you stay in Sydney you could join every British backpacker in Australia on Bondi beach.....a BIG day.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any advice ?

There is always work for builders, however I think you would find it difficult unless you have transport. I think you itinerary sounds fine, just by following the road and also the work wil bring you to places and people. A great experience. Several years ago, my bricklayer mate travelled Oz for two years, not only earned a lot of $, but also met many people and explored beautiful places.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,172 posts
1,428 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any advice ?

I agree with others, your trade you probably wont have any trouble....I did notice when I was in Perth a few weeks ago...just up from the Hyatt Hotel there was a huge complex just starting and there was an enormous sign advertising positions....every trade you could think off.....(anyway, this is just an example)...that there is work available in Australia...

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
658 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any advice ?

Bricklayers and labourers are in HUGE demand in Western Australia. The seemingly never-ending housing boom has been happening for quite some time and doesn't look like softening anytime soon. Biggest problem is bricks, they can't make them fast enough and last I heard, builders have been bringing them in from the eastern states.

Hervey Bay
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Any advice ?

depending on amount of time you have you must see Fraser Island from Hervey Bay. There are plenty of 1,2,3 guided and self drive tours available for you as well as hiring your own 4WD. September is also whale watching season and is well worth a look for a very good day out on the water.

This area is also experiencing a demand for qualified workers so I am sure you shouldn't have to look to hard around the area for work. There are places i can recommend to book trips, hire cars etc etc just let me know if you want anymore info. Hervey Bay also has frequent buses and the train (with a short connecting bus trip) is also available.

i hope this helps you out.