We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best option for telephone in Australia

5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best option for telephone in Australia

Travelling through the east coast and need to stay in touch with family back in Canada. What is the best and cheapest option for telephone? I will use free wi-fi for Skype or FaceTime but also want to use a telephone at times. Any information is appreciated. Thanks.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,499 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best option for telephone in Australia

If you will be outside major cities using the phone your best bet is a prepaid Telstra sim card in an unlocked phone. The other players don't have as much coverage outside the cities.

5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best option for telephone in Australia

Thanks so much!

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,257 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best option for telephone in Australia

Optus (and companies who use their network) go close to matching Telstra. Every company has a few better/worse than the other individual location. Vodafone is very poor in Evans Head, as visiting friends just discovered. Both Optus and Telstra claim to cover high 90 something percent of the population. Note that's population, not land area. There are still sections of most major highways where access is patchy or non existent.

5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best option for telephone in Australia

Thanks. I think I'll buy a blackberry, buy/change the SIM card when I get there and purchase a prepaid calling card or do pay as you go. I'm going to try and take advantage of free wi-fi as much as possible to connect through Skype.

Thanks again for the information.

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,257 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best option for telephone in Australia

Check pre paid offers on virginmobile.com.au

$29 gets a lot call $450

worth and 1 gb of data. A $19 dollars plan might for limited use work, but I am thinking the 1gb of data is worth having....free net isn't as common on Aust as many expect.

Telstra and Optus would similar deals, though might be a condition percentage of calls be made to same network, keeping track or knowing which network you are calling seems impossible. I use virgin postpaid and the website allows to monitor calls and data usage easily.

If your traveling more than 30 days woolworthsmobile.com.au even...same $29 offer but 45 days, not usual 30 to use credits...heaps more data though though they do have restriction that half calls their network. Half any network.

Forget the $2 simcards on offer all over place - Vodafone - buying credit will be similar price to others but poorer coverage.

5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Best option for telephone in Australia

Thanks. I think I'll buy a blackberry, buy/change the SIM card when I get there and purchase a prepaid calling card or do pay as you go. I'm going to try and take advantage of free wi-fi as much as possible to connect through Skype.

Thanks again for the information.

5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Best option for telephone in Australia

I'll be in Australia for four months so this may impact my options and how I approach this. Lots of information to consider! Thanks for your reply (and sorry about the repeat post...)

8. Re: Best option for telephone in Australia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2014, 05:16