We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkelling off the beach in Australia

Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Snorkelling off the beach in Australia

Hello. I am really stuck for where to go in Australia in July, August, snorkelling off the beach with the kids. I love Lord Howe island but it is too cold at that time of the year. Ningaloo may be a bit far away? And I haven't checked the water temps there. I was wandering if you can snorkell off the beach on Fitzroy Island? the Whitsundays look amazing but no coral off the beach? we are doing the theme park thing and then would love to go somewhere nice and warm and snorkell the days away! Any advice would be much appreciated.

Oz
Level Contributor
13,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkelling off the beach in Australia

Hi,

Lady Elliot, Lady Musgrave and Heron Islands all fit the bill.

Cheers,

Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkelling off the beach in Australia

Thank,you so much I will check those out !

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkelling off the beach in Australia

Depends how far north you want to go. No stingers at that time of year

Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkelling off the beach in Australia

North is fine, thank you Glen :)

I looked at Heron Island and it looks amazing but it only has one accommodation and it has really bad reviews!

Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkelling off the beach in Australia

Lady Musgrave has no accommodation........but Lady Elliot HAS and it looks ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!!!!!

Thank You OZRCFLYER!

Oz
Level Contributor
13,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkelling off the beach in Australia

Hi,

If you contact the QLD National Parks (not sure what they are called this week) you can book camping on Lady Musgrave Island. The numbers are strictly limited so you need to book well in advance.

Enjoy.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,492 posts
1,583 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkelling off the beach in Australia

Hi,

Another vote for Lady Elliott Island however the water temp would be slightly warmer in Heron island. I've been to all 3 islands (sailing) & all are beautiful especially Heron. Lady Musgrave is perfect for a day trip from Town of 1770. There are no roads or accommodation on Lady Musgrave. Its basically a tiny island which one can walk around in an hour. tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
83 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkelling off the beach in Australia

I can vouche for Lady Elliot Island. I had one of the best snorkelling experiences here! There is just so much marine life it's not funny! I even swam with a few White Tip Reef Sharks when i was there (not dangerous). That was amazing! Would love to return to Lady Elliot :)

Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkelling off the beach in Australia

Can you guys tell me if the water is warm in the winter because I work in hospitality and winter is the only time I can holiday!

They must be warm because they have coral but Lord Howe Islandhas coral and I read that winter holidayers wear wetsuits snorkelling off the beach (?)

I have been to Fiji and Rarotonga in the winter and the water was very warm but I realise they are more Northern : )

10. Re: Snorkelling off the beach in Australia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2014, 04:17