We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sydney to Cairns

cheshire
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Sydney to Cairns

Planning to spend 3-4 wks travelling from Sydney to Cairns, never staying more than 2 nights in same place. Have priced up campervan hire + allowing for camp site fees and fuel. Can anyone advise me if it would be cheaper option to hire car and stay in budget accomodation? We will not be able to book ahead for rooms.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sydney to Cairns

seeing u have priced up the campervan option why cant u do the same for the rental car option?

why should we do your homework? ;-)

cheshire
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sydney to Cairns

I'm not lazy, here for advice incase anyone has taken this option. I have priced up car hire, worked out fuel etc, but as we are in our 60's and don't want to stay in hostels, have a limited budget , but a sense of adventure any advice from couples that have done a similar trip would be welcome.

I lived in Aussie in the 70's and only had to return to England for family reasons. I travelled the East coast back then, spent Xmas day in Townsville when cyclone Althea hit. and travelled many of the then lesser rds, Ie Normanton, Camoweal, Cloncurry etc and think it's a great country hence my return.

Obviously 40+ yrs on things change.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sydney to Cairns

range of accommodation costs here:

www.wotif.com

not all hostels are backpacker hell holes. many have private rooms with private facilities.

u have to seek them out.

http://www3.yha.com.au/

and the campervan parks u have looked at probably have cabin accommo:

www.big4.com.au/holiday-park-finder.aspx

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,967 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sydney to Cairns

It depends on when you are travelling. School holidays and the winter season are peak travel times for the grey nomads , who fill the highways., and van parks.

Many popular camp spots on the coasts - beach etc , will be full and you can be lucky to get a spot. You will need to have several options to pursue when options are full.

Ideally you should try and phone ahead for the popular spots.

Try Rollingstone camp ground north of Townsville or Paluma. Mission beach still beautiful.

Youbcould try bed and breakfast type places. Or as lien says cabins in camp grounds. You may come up against two night minimum stays in some places. Look at Big 4.

This is a popular forum post subject and you will still find everyone says the route in central qld is boring. I agree. It's long and u have limited options in staying.

If you go inland, you are ow competing against mining in places like Surat, emerald and surround, Mackay . Rocky is very busy and expensive and I feel bad value for your money.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,041 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sydney to Cairns

What time of the year?

A cheap camper without a/c would be a hell hole in summer.

An expensive one would be uneconomic compared to a cheap car + room with a/c.

Lismore, Australia
Level Contributor
200 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sydney to Cairns

I agree with the others. It is important to know when you are travelling to give specific advice.

7. Re: Sydney to Cairns

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 April 2014, 05:17