We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 Different cities - 3 different climates??

Kilmarnock, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
3 Different cities - 3 different climates??

So folks I have a dilema, for my three week trip in australia I can only pack 20kgs worth of clothes and shoes :( trying to plan some outfits right now (major OCD) for my adventures, mainly walking around and sightseeing, some visits to beaches and museums.

My destination and dates are Perth 13th june for a week thereafter Brisbane for a week and then sydney for the final week.

Do I need a heavy jacket for Perth and Brisbane? Is a t-shirt ok in Brisbane? Bearing in mind I am from the UK.

Also i will be eating out alot with fmaily, is the majority of restaurants quite fancy or is causal quite acceptable. My version of casual being a nice dress and flats, not a jeans and trainers type of girl really.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 Different cities - 3 different climates??

Rather than a heavy jacket you are better off 'layering' - bring a few t-shirts, a few long sleeve thin tops, a fleece or sweater, and a lightweight waterproof jacket.

The majority of restaurants will only require 'neat, casual' attire, so a nice dress or casual trousers and flats will be fine.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,771 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 Different cities - 3 different climates??

This is the Bureau of Meteorology website.

http://www.bom.gov.au/

What to wear is probably a matter of what you are used to. I have known people from Brisbane who say you can recognise a southener (i.e. other Australians) in Brisbane in winter because they are the ones not wearing jumpers and jackets. You may be be able to get away with just a t-shirt, but as I said it is a matter of what you are used to. Sydney will be the coldest of the places you are visiting, and it can get below 10 degrees Celsius on winter mornings. On the other hand it is also possible for it to reach 20 degrees in the afternoon on a sunny winter day. So be prepared for a range of temperatures, but not extreme cold.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,884 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 Different cities - 3 different climates??

You just need to layer.

Have some cargo type pants if you are going walking hiking, long sleeve /zip top and then short sleeve or long sleeve under these will be fine.

For Brisbane - t shirt or long sleeve shirts as the early parts of the day can be "chilly" if there is a wind. Also stops sun burn.

Going out to dinner- most places are casual, but I dont class casual as gym shoes.runners. I would say you will be just fine in dresses or jeans with flats and a nice top. You would need a cardigan or two as well if sitting outside and dining- but at night most people retreat inside.. Couple of nice scarves and you are done.

Lots of people will wear nice boots with jeans or work gear in winter in Sydney.

Dont forget a sun hat.

Oz
Level Contributor
11,907 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 Different cities - 3 different climates??

Hi,

Layers as have been advised with a waterproof outer are what you need.

The usual advice is to take half the clothes and twice the money you think you will need. Formal in QLD is black thongs (aka flip flops).

Cheers,

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,884 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 Different cities - 3 different climates??

No ozrcflyer , formal is thongs with a diamante or sparkles.. Plain black thongs are so yesterday.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,278 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 Different cities - 3 different climates??

I think something like a trench coat would be better than a heavy coat.... that's more a Melbourne/Tasmania type thing. Brisbane does get cold at night, beautiful days if sunny but can be around 5dg late at night which feels even colder when it's around 18 in the daytime.

Oz
Level Contributor
11,907 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 Different cities - 3 different climates??

Hi hamiriver,

Touche. My days of Fashionista are over ;-(

Cheers,

8. Re: 3 Different cities - 3 different climates??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2014, 05:17