We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

qantas - three questions

London, United...
Level Contributor
118 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
qantas - three questions

Three questions

1-does anybody know if you can select seats on a Qantas flight like you can on BA or Virgin ? - doesn't seem like you can from their website....but seems odd so maybe I'm missing something.

2-Also - flying from London to Melbourne - would that be a Qantas flight or a BA flight - again not clear from websites. I thought I read BA were not flying to Melbourne anymore.

3. Do people recommend that we break the flight in Singapore or is it better to do the flight on one go ? and is it worth upgrading to business class for the flight ? - seems like a lot of money but if you're going to upgrade for any flight - this one must be worth it?

thanks for advice

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,440 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: qantas - three questions

AJ,

That's why i said it was a request...perhaps we've been lucky.

for our flight to LHR Athens BA on the other hand very neatly sat our daughter by herself in the third last row of the plane and we were the row behind business. I used the online pre allocation and all three of us were together intially ( we were all on the same booking too) and it wasn't until after we got our boarding passes i noticed she had been moved..their explanation...her FF status didn't allow her to sit so far forward???

on boarding the flight the attendant asked our daughter why she didn't have any UM (Unaccompanied) paperwork as she was seated alone...luckily the lady in the seat beside offered to swap with our daughter so we could all sit together!

i'm waiting to see what happens with the kids this time...whether they keep their 35A and B or get shunted back. the eldest is now 15 so can accompany his sister ( we fly out two weeks before).

Woodford, Australia
Level Contributor
236 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: qantas - three questions

1. This has been extansively discussed on frequentflyer.com.au and I'd search that site. In short your chances of getting the seats you wish for depends primarily on you oneworld status. (a) Ring Qantas after you've booked your seats and you may be able to specify particular seats ... you will be able to if OW Sapphire or better.

2. already answered

3. recommend breaking flight on return from AUS and taking two daytime flights if possible and stopping overnight (or a couple of days if you wish). On the journey to AUS I wouldn't break flight if you wound up with two overnight sectors. If travelling BA consider flying premium economy, we did this last year from LON to HKG and definitely worth it for USD300 extra. Business is an awful lot more. You should be able to find flights where you can upgrade to premium economy for around USD450 each way p.p.

Cheers skip

London, United...
Level Contributor
118 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: qantas - three questions

Thanks everyone - you've given me a lot of food for thought.

I'm still tempted to go for the business class though - although I know it will cost us about £6000 extra....sounds crazy when you actually write the figure down....but surely if you are going to buy an upgraded seat on any flight - then UK to OZ has to be the one that is worth it ??

(And it is a special trip to celebrate something.)

Anyway , we'll see - I'll do the sums - but maybe you're right that it is better to spend the money once we are there on something nice.

All I know is ,I find the UK to Los Angeles flight pretty long so I don't know about 22 hrs to Australia.

Thanks again

14. Re: qantas - three questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 14:18