We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warning: Insufficient Insurance with Apollo Motorhomes

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Warning: Insufficient Insurance with Apollo Motorhomes

A short summary of what we learnt after hiring a rental campervan with Apollo in Australia and unfortunately had an accident:

Apollo won't cover for any accidents they deem your fault.

For example: you stop at a stop sign, look left and right but fail to spot an oncoming car and consequently cause an accident. This scenario is amongst the most common accident scenarios - nearly 25% of all accidents happen due to someone accidentally failing to give the right of way. It's due to these kind of accidents that can end up being very costly you'll want an insurance in the first place. But Apollo Camper will not cover it in any of their insurance packages.

Instead, after such an accident, you'll receive the following mail quoting parts of their contract:

----------

(...)

Due to the nature of this accident you are in breach of the following terms and conditions:

4. Unauthorised and Prohibited Use of Vehicle

(g) Using the Vehicle in a dangerous (...) manner.

(h) Using the Vehicle in contravention of any legislation or regulation controlling vehicular traffic.

(...)

5. Financial Obligations

(...) You will pay Apollo, on demand, any balance with the following charges:

(c) All loss of or damage to the Vehicle, (including the loss of use of that Vehicle - 'demurrage'), legal expenses, assessment fees, towing and recovery costs, third party damage, storage and other charges rendered by Apollo's where:

(xi) You have been deemed negligent in any action thereby resulting in damage to the Vehicle or third party property

(...)

----------

And no matter which of their additional insurance packages you've booked (including any 'zero-liability' one) they will argue with the above mentioned terms and void any insurance.

I know it sounds hard to believe, but just check their contract or even better ask Apollo (in writing, to make sure you've got legal proof) about the mentioned circumstances.

In short: Don't book with Apollo Campers. And get written proof that the rental company you choose has an insurance that covers all things you need to have covered.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
16,216 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Warning: Insufficient Insurance with Apollo Motorhomes

It's nothing to do with Apollo and utterly pointless to tell people not to use them for that reason.

Every vehicle I have hired - last one as recently as last month - came with a verbal warning re not bring covered for accidents where you are at fault - and it's covered clearly in the T&Cs.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
29,253 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Warning: Insufficient Insurance with Apollo Motorhomes

And it's best to stop at stop signs in Australia. :)

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Warning: Insufficient Insurance with Apollo Motorhomes

@perfectlyperth: Sorry, but that's just not true. I inquired with Britz and they do cover such cases. Only thing not covered is gross negligence, but 'normal' accidents are in their standard insurance coverage.

Plus I don't think anyone (especially not visitors to Australia who have to adjust to new road conditions) would even touch a rented vehicle if they knew they weren't covered for 'common' accidents. I mean, what if you cause a damage of 200'000 dollars? You would want at least some kind of insurance to cover you.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,298 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Warning: Insufficient Insurance with Apollo Motorhomes

You ARE covered for damage cause to a third party by our govt schemes that cover all registered vehicles. It is only your own damage that is not covered in such cases and I agree with PP . You were at fault. It is not common in my experience to fail to give way to the right. I drive hundreds of kilometres every week and have never had such an accident.

I suspect most car hire companies would label failure to give way as "gross negligence" actually.

Edited: 18 May 2013, 00:15
Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,338 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Warning: Insufficient Insurance with Apollo Motorhomes

Sorry nozzie but you are not quite right. Compulsory (Government) third party covers for personal injury not vehicle damage. It is also not necessarily a Government policy. In NSW you have to purchase third party from a private insurer before you can register you motor vehicle.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,567 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Warning: Insufficient Insurance with Apollo Motorhomes

>>>Every vehicle I have hired - last one as recently as last month - came with a verbal warning re not bring covered for accidents where you are at fault - and it's covered clearly in the T&Cs.<<<

This is not true. If it were the case, there would be no point having the insurance in the first place, as the person at fault would always be liable.

>>>You ARE covered for damage cause to a third party by our govt schemes that cover all registered vehicles. It is only your own damage that is not covered in such cases <<

This is also not true.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,298 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Warning: Insufficient Insurance with Apollo Motorhomes

Sorry -yes I should have made it clear I was referring to personal accident insurance because the OP was talking about 100,00s $$$ which is unlikely when one is referring to vehicle damage.

And whatever jurisdiction you are in third party insurance is a legal requirement for vehicle registration in Aus. It may be administered differently in different states - but my point still stands

I guess these things are more complex than it is possible to discuss here really because different conditions may apply in each case - but I still don't have much sympathy for the OP. He/she was careless ....end of.

Edited: 18 May 2013, 02:53
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,126 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Warning: Insufficient Insurance with Apollo Motorhomes

LOL...i was just thinking.

Not far from here a few weeks ago car ran into a house and set the whole lot on fire...

I guess that was 100,000s damage. Not a likely occurence, but definitely possible.

As for the whole insurance thing.....

if your own isurance company deems you negligent in breach of their contract they can wipe you too..

Insurance is peace of mind....

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,567 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Warning: Insufficient Insurance with Apollo Motorhomes

It is a pretty rare occurrence for an insurance company to wipe their hands of you for an error of judgement in traffic. Usually you have to be DUI, or otherwise grossly negligent.

You take out car insurance to cover the mistakes that you make. Mistakes that others make are covered by their insurance. That's the way the system works. Paying an insurance premium that doesn't cover you for your own mistakes is paying for nothing at all.

if the facts are as the OP describes them, then for the insurance they have paid for to refuse to cover it is more than a little harsh. If I pay for insurance, I pay for it to cover me if I make a mistake, not to leave me with the entire liability if I have an accident that is my fault.

Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Warning: Insufficient Insurance with Apollo Motorhomes

Hey thanks so much for the warning, I always assumed insurance was peace of mind!! Unless u were DUI