We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two week itinerary starting in Melbourne

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Two week itinerary starting in Melbourne

Hey! Me and my girlfriend are spending two weeks +/- some days in Australia, in march 2014.

The only thing we are certain we are going to do is spending some days in Melbourne before driving the Great Ocean Road in 3-4 days/nights. Is it any smart to do stuff so much more than Sydney(and the surrounding areas) into this itinerary?

We also have to end our trip in a city that flies to Fiji.

Many thanks,

Endre and Andrea

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two week itinerary starting in Melbourne

with 2 weeks u would have the opportunity to do more than the two cities and surrounds.

maybe a road trip between the two....either coastal, inland or a combo of both would be good.

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two week itinerary starting in Melbourne

March is an ideal time to visit because the weather will still be warm to hot and most people will be back at work, so you will not get over priced accommodation and packed roads. Lien has made a good suggestion about visiting Sydney. You may want to drive inland and visit Canberra on the way. There's plenty to see there in a couple of days.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,862 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two week itinerary starting in Melbourne

I'm sorry, I'm not clear, what is your itinerary? It also crossed my mind, sometimes people assume the Great Ocean Road is between Melbourne and Sydney, was that your intention with the 3-4 day drive?

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two week itinerary starting in Melbourne

Lien:

Yeah I think so too, but if we spend 4 days/nights in Melbourne, 3 d/n on GOR (start and end in Melbourne?), and 4 d/n in Sydney we have 3+/- days left. For not having to use that much time on the road, how's Canberra as you said?

How are the traintimes and prices comparing to what you pay for a flight? I know we're talking big numbers in the distance and if I've understood right if using the train from Melbourne to Canberra/Sydney you have to first travel 6 hours from Melbourne to Cootamundra, then 3 hours to Canberra. So 9 hours to Canberra and then 4 hours from Canberra to Sydney. So for three days that seem's a little much traveltime for using train?

Navy 35:

Awesome, yeah we're visiting Sydney, maybe that's a good idea :)

MacKnee:

3-4 days Melbourne

3-4 days GOR to and from Melbourne (seems the best way since we're going east afterwards)

3-4 days in Sydney

Equals 9-12 days and then we have 2-5 days to spend somewhere else or more days each spot.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,556 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two week itinerary starting in Melbourne

You could head for Adelaide in March 2014 Which will be abuzz

www.adelaidefestival.com.au www.adelaidefringe.com.au www.womadelaide.com.au

www.southaustralia.com

Accommodation www.venere.com www.wotif.com www.stayz.com.au

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,462 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Two week itinerary starting in Melbourne

After Melb you could do the GOR drive and continue on to Adelaide. You could easily do this in 4 days.

Then you could spend some time at Kangaroo Island, fly to central Australia for Uluru or fly to Cairns for the Great Barrier Reef (all good options it just depends what you want).

Then fly to Syd for a few days before heading to Fiji.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,862 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Two week itinerary starting in Melbourne

>>3-4 days GOR to and from Melbourne (seems the best way since we're going east afterwards)<<

I see. That's a generous amount of time. I'm not saying it's necessarily too much. We spent a whole week along the GOR but it was part of a GOR/Melbourne holiday. Overseas visitors seeing the GOR as part of an Australian holiday don't usually devote so much time to it. With so much time and a few extra days to fill you could look at the above suggestions re Adelaide.

Edited: 25 May 2013, 03:27
Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Two week itinerary starting in Melbourne

Ok, cool!

How does this itinerary look?

3 full days in Melbourne.

3 (or 4?) days GOR ride through Port Campbell, Grampians, Mt Gambier, Coorong and then to Adelaide.

2-3 full days in Adelaide.

And then we might go to Uluru etc, but how much will that actually cost for just a couple of days? From Adelaide to Alice Springs with Qantas are ~250 AUD and Ayers Rock to Sydney are ~250 with Virgin.

Plus normal rates in for 2-3 days for hostel, food etc, around 150 aud? Plus tourprices, that's around 1000+ AUD?

Anyways 3 full days Sydney before flying to Fiji!

If not going to Uluru we'll just the days we would have spent in Uluru on Melbourne, Adelaide and/or Sydney :)

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,462 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Two week itinerary starting in Melbourne

Uluru is as amazing as it is expensive - but that is a big hit to the budget, only you can decide if it is worth it.

If you decide not to go you will find plenty to fill your time with an extra day in each of the cities - or add a day or two to the GOR leg and check out one of the great wine regions along the way.

10. Re: Two week itinerary starting in Melbourne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2014, 06:17