We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"The One Place to Visit"

Weeki Wachee...
Level Contributor
185 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
"The One Place to Visit"

My wife and I are long in the tooth and don't want to tour all over AU. We are looking for one or two places to stay that are relatively near each other preferably on the Great Barrier Reef and in a Rainforest. Suggestions please.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,201 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "The One Place to Visit"

Ok, sounds like you want to focus on Queensland, so you might want to drop down a level and post in the Queensland forum. However, there's still lots of great destinations in Queensland, so perhaps you can help everyone out a bit by giving us a bit more information about what sort of place/experience you are looking for?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,944 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "The One Place to Visit"

Cairns or Port Douglas would be good bases for both the Barrier Reef and the rainforest. Port Douglas in particular is quite close to the Daintree rainforest.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "The One Place to Visit"

What sort of time span are we talking here - a week or a month or something inbetween?

Why do you necessarily want to stay in two places that are close to each other? Domestic airfares are relatively cheap here and since you are coming all this way, wouldn't you enjoy seeing a couple of different types of environment? I'm thinking north Queensland and the Barrier Reef and tropical rainforest and then Tasmania and the temperate rainforest with possibly a day or two in a city - can you really come to Australia and not visit Sydney?

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,037 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "The One Place to Visit"

I checked your posts to see if there was any more useful detail, because people sometimes mention something really pertinent in one thread and not in another, and it seems you are also renting a golf cart in Placencia so now I'm even more confused :-)

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,610 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "The One Place to Visit"

Also, what time of year are you planning this trip? Going to Far North Queensland (GBR region) in the Australian summer would not be my first choice due to the hot and humid weather.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,184 posts
1,433 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "The One Place to Visit"

A few more details about yourself & your time alloted for your journey to Australia would be helpful. ie.. how long , what month & your interests ????

As mentioned Port Douglas & the Daintree National Park would be ideal if you don't want to travel far between reef & rainforest. ( Not in summer - due to cyclone/ wet season )

7. Re: "The One Place to Visit"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2014, 06:18