We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP!? Best, cheapest way to travel Australia? Need advice!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
HELP!? Best, cheapest way to travel Australia? Need advice!

I have always wanted to travel Australia but I honestly don't know how to go about it.

My Dad has said to rent a 'kombi' or a vw camper van as its a way of transport and our own little house on wheels but I've looked online and cant find a good site that hires out them at reasonable prices.

I don't want to stay in a hostel as I am not keen on sharing a room with strangers. I don't mind camping so I'm thinking a camper van would be the best idea.

Any advice, tips or experiences would be a huge help. Heres some info about us though:

Hoping to go end of July 2014 - September 2014

Planning in advance so we can try getting good deals :)

There is only 2 of us travelling but I know my boyfriends friends are also wanting to travel so would there be any way we could have 4 in a camper van or would 2 separate ones be better?

Thank you for reading x

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,644 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP!? Best, cheapest way to travel Australia? Need advice!

Hostels now offer both dorm rooms and private rooms. So you can have an ensuite room for two in a hostel. My college-aged kids use HostelWorld.com to find and book all their hostels (staying only in private rooms as they don't like to sleep with strangers either) and say that the reviews are accurate. They tell me that they have never encountered any "surprises" on hostels they have booked on this site--what they see is what they get.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,255 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP!? Best, cheapest way to travel Australia? Need advice!

Combining BEST and CHEAPEST is always a challenge.

I agree with Longhorn, look at private en suite rooms in hostels, and also on-site vans or cabins.

Your "own little house on wheels" guzzles more petrol than a car and handles differently to a car which is a worry if you're not used to it and especially in sudden situations like encountering wildlife on the roads. You can't just pull up anywhere scenic for the night, I believe there are some free camping spots but mostly you'll have to pay for a site, and then figure out how to get into town or visit the attractions because the downside of your transport also being your accommodation is that your accommodation is also your transport. I don't know what you think is a reasonable price for a rental but this forum regularly gets complaints from people who went for the cheap option only to discover it really is cheap, sometimes inconveniently or even holiday disruptingly cheap (do a search for previous discussions about that on the forum).

I don't want to be completely discouraging, campervanning around the country can be enjoyable on the right routes and with the right expectations. I just feel perhaps you are buying into a fantasy of a very economical carefree trip and I think you should do a lot more research.

Perhaps start with thinking about how long you want to be away for, and where exactly you want to go.

You may find for some things the best and most economical choice is something quite different once you do more research. For example I imagine you want to see Sydney, renting transport is an unnecessary expense and hassle there, and some of the hostels are very well located, for example there's one in the very convenient Rocks area. You might also decide a cheap flight might be preferable to a lengthy stretch of road travel from A to B, it's a huge country so save the road travel for the areas where you get the most value out of it.

Well, that's my thoughts, I'm sure if you give us some more details of what you want to experience on your trip, a bit of a wish list, you'll get lots of suggestions on how to go about planning it.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
4,189 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP!? Best, cheapest way to travel Australia? Need advice!

I agree with MacKnee re campervanning might not be the cheap carefree option when traveling around australia.

by the time you factor in the rental of the campervan, time for traveling, the petrol, the site costs (usually small - to be honest), the food, the stress of driving in a strange country.....it might not sound so cheap.

perhaps research the places that you do wish to see and then consider flying to each destination, hiring a car for the local areas and exploring from each base.

you sometime get good deals on the domestic airlines if booking well in advance. put your name on their mailing lists for notification of special deals. sites to check are

www.virginaustralia.com

www.jetstar.com

www.qantas.com.au

www.webjet.com.au/

another way is to travel certain sectors by bus eg sydney to brisbane

have a look at this site for some ideas. as mentioned by longhorn74, many hostels now have double rooms with private bathrooms.

http://www3.yha.com.au/travel-australia/

4. Re: HELP!? Best, cheapest way to travel Australia? Need advice!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2014, 06:18