We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Umbrella & Toothpaste questions

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Topic
Umbrella & Toothpaste questions

These may sound silly....

1) Is it necessary to carry along an umbrella(for rain, not sunlight) for this month travel in Sydney, Gold Coast or NZ South Island ?

2) I know liquid of more than 100ml cannot be carried into the flight, but how about toothpaste and skin lotion in gm or oz weight ? What's the maximum to bring in ?

TQ

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,810 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Umbrella & Toothpaste questions

You can pack liquids over 100ml in your checked baggage, just not bring it in a carry-on bag.

I'd want an umbrella for at least Sydney and NZ, but not sure you can pack one in a carry on bag on international flights. A checked bag, no problem.

As a rule of thumb 100g of toothpaste/skin lotion is 100ml as well. You can bring a maximum of 1 litre in ten 100ml containers in carry on luggage. There is no limit on liquids in checked luggage.

Edited: 16 June 2013, 18:33
sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,392 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Umbrella & Toothpaste questions

I recently had a half-empty tube of toothpaste (in my carry-on) taken by security (when leaving Oz) .. original tube had been 130g and they work on that not the fact that there was only about 65g left in the tube.

Oz
Level Contributor
12,518 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Umbrella & Toothpaste questions

Hi,

1. A Goretex jacket is much more practical than an umbrella in Sydney and NZ, you will need the outer shell over lavers for your NZ trip anyway, don't forget you will also need "technical trousers" . Have you seen Mary Poppins?

2. Toothpaste has been sold in the Antipodes for some time now.

Cheers,

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Umbrella & Toothpaste questions

I always take an umbrella in my carry on. They used to ask me to open it at security but that hasn't happened for a couple of years. No problems taking it through.

A waterproof jacket is something else you should pack. Hard to carry and umbrella + luggage.

Buy toothpaste here. If you bring it with you pack it in your checked baggage sealed in a ziplock bag. Pressure can cause it to leak and it makes a horrible mess.

Edited: 17 June 2013, 01:28
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Umbrella & Toothpaste questions

TQ,

I normally like to try foreign toothpaste but this trip itinerary is so tight and time-precious I may have no time to buy it locally.

What are "technical trousers" ?

Is Goretex jacket same as down jacket ?

Edited: 17 June 2013, 19:21
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Umbrella & Toothpaste questions

Gortex will keep you dry. Down will keep you warm. The best would be a Gortex she'll with a down liner.

Technical trousers are waterproof pant you can wear over your normal pants (or on their own). They are also waterproof and wind proof.

Unless you are planning on skiing or hiking through NZ and camping out, I don't see that tech pants are necessary. Nor is Gortex or down. A warm padded jacket and fleece would be sufficient.

Oz
Level Contributor
12,518 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Umbrella & Toothpaste questions

Hi evamelb,

The OP is also on the NZ forum asking about everything from snow shoe tours to skydiving.

Cheers,

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Umbrella & Toothpaste questions

TQ evamelb,

Yes I have checked the Australian weather. Don't think I need those wear but I go NZ too when the weather could be below zero by next week.

9. Re: Umbrella & Toothpaste questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2014, 05:17